My Son the Skydiver!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That looks like a lot of fun.

... Not my idea of fun!!! But to be 24 again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroberg
That is really cool!
You think so??

Are wind tunnels in Chicago heated???

COLD man, COLD!!

They were 6 feet above the floor. They had a corporate sponsor who paid $600/hr for the team to practice. :eek::eek::eek:. Oh... 8-10 hrs later they got good!!!

...I've gotta figure out this message system!!! My format stinks...

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That does look like fun - something I might have liked to try when I was 24 (not the real sky diving though). :)

robutacion

The feeling of weightless is something to be experience, wind tunnels like this, would be the closest thing to experience that and in a safe environment however, can not compare to the real thing, particularly above certain altitudes with enough time to freefall, that is something that, can not be explained, only experienced.

I wish I could go back and do it, as a spinner paratrooper in the Portuguese special forces, I went as high as 4.300 meters (not feet), with a heavy load attached to me every time, making the fall speed to increase significantly and after 2 years of doing that, I endup breaking my back on a simple routine 900 meters jump, one week after finishing the 2 years compulsory army time, that did suck...!

Would I do it again if I could, absolutely, no doubts about that, would it be pushing my luck, it probably would, after all I survive out of a situation where 99% of similar accidents, did result in death so, it makes me wonder how I survived and learn to walk again after 2 1/2 long years.

Would I be cared...?? yes and no, fear is in many occasions, the driving force that make us do certain things, there were no such wind tunnels in my time, everything had to be tested in real life situation so, skydiving has come a very long way since the middle 70th's, private skydiving also offers the best equipment there is, army supplies are very average as they are seen as disposable (many times, once used).

I'm I jealous..? you're betcha I am, big time...!:frown::biggrin:

Great team work from those 4 people...!

Thanks you for sharing this...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom