My Segmented Pen Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from badger

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger

My submission is the first time I've done any segmented anything, much less a pen. But it was a fun challenge, and something I've wanted to
try.

The woods are: Bloodwood, Holly, Rosewood, and the tips are African Blackwood. This process showed that my drilling, and cutting are fairly imprecise. I also didn't pay attention to what the orientation of my pieces were. But in the end it worked out, and I kind of like the patchwork effect of the mismatched angles.

Badger_SegPen1.jpg

Badger_SegPen2.jpg

Badger_SegPen3.jpg

Steps:
I glued some scrap strips of Bloodwood, Holly, and Rosewood I'd saved from another project. I flattened the strips on the belt sander. I'm sure there are better ways, this is just what I figured out. I used some Thick CA and my vice for clamping.

Then I cut it into smaller sections, and drilled it as close to down the center. This showed just how lousy my pen vise set up is. I was off a bit, which made the whole thing slightly angled. Then I cut the section into segments of about half inch. I miscalculated (wasn't hard, I had no idea what I was doing) and there was about 1/8 in or so of tube sticking out. I grabbed some small cut off piece of African Blackwood, and drilled it for the ends.

I then stacked the pieces up, turned each pieces 90 degrees, and started applying CA. I probably used too much, but it seemed to work ok. I had to sand a bunch of the segements flat since my cutting was also a bit less than precise.

Once glue was dry, I turned it all round, sanded to 400, and finished with Mylands Friction polish. I'm still working up the nerve to try CA finish.

Sorry for the bad pictures, my light tent is buried right now. All in all for my first one, I like it.

badger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

Not bad for the first one! The first segmented pen I did was kind of goofy, but my grandfather saw it and really liked it, so he now carries it around with him everywhere he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom