My pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I needed to wait on posting this pen from the competition because I also submitted it to the Pen Makers Guild immediately after the competition was over.

It is made of Sterling Silver Hardware, Alt Casein and inlayed with synthetic opal. It is built to be able to change out the upper tubes to suit your style or mood for the day. Besides changing the upper barrels, you can change clips and use it as either a roller ball or a fountain pen.

The upper barrels are 1/2 K&S tubbing the inner tube is 15/32 K&S tubing. They are a perfect fit one inside the other with no slop.

I had to make the Casien tubes twice. The first time I made them the lower blank got destroyed trying to make it that one little bit better. The upper tube didnt match the lower color wise whe I remade the lower tube and I ended up remaking it as well. I made more than 10 upper tubes and discarded about half of them right away. I also made 4 or 5 clips for it.

pen%25252072.JPG

pen%25252028.JPG

pen%25252060.JPG

pen%25252021.JPG

pen%25252018.JPG

black%252520clip%252520w%252520stones.JPG

pen%25252040.JPG

Thank you all, comments welcome.

Drstrangefart

SWEET BABY JESUS. This is definitely one of those that amounts to the pinnacle of the art. VERY well done. The English language doesn't have the right words to appropriately explain the awesome.

MarkD

That certainly is an outstanding piece of workmanship.
The bar has been raised again.

D.Oliver

I love this pen. Quick, somebody good with numbers figure out how many diffent combinations are possible with four clips, 6 barrels and two diffent nib options. Its like 48 pens in one!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I do also need to give credit to someone who is becoming a very good friend.

It was Mike Roux who suggested the Casein for the pen and who also suggested adding the stones to the black clip. The silver clip with the diamonds kind of disappeared in the clip. The stones in the black clip are cz set in silver and were added after the clip was made. That made the world of difference in the clip.

Thank you Mike

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, I'm at a loss for words, awesome,fantastic,super,gorgeous, etc do not do it justice.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm siding with Roy and, others on this one. Webster was a Dumb Butt 'caus he didn't put ANY words in the dictionary to describe this (these) pen.:confused: I like it alot!:biggrin:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I glad you posted these pictures. The others didn't do justice. Certainly a well deserved reward from the contest and the guild.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well now. As far as I'm concerned, that it the most superbly designed piece of functional art I've seen on this sight. What's more, it's changeable. WOW! You just hit this one out of the park, so to speak! Congrats.

bitshird

It is fantastic, you have certainly set a new standard, I know some great pen turners have left the IAP, but I hope one "Good Old Boy" is looking down with a big smile, and I'm so glad you made the Guild.

jcm71

In my two years of doing this I've had a moderate amount of success in selling my pens (still in the red). After looking at this I find myself hardpressed to even consider myself an amateur. I am in awe.

RogerH

The pen is obviously a work of art, but the most amazing thing is that as you scroll through the pictures it is also a short tutorial I think, (because I haven't made one) on how to expertly craft fully custom, kitless and ingenious pen(s).

Really fun to be able to see it, thx so much for sharing, especially the pics showing the different "dress" for the pen.

Congratulations on admission to the guild. I'm surprised they didn't just make you President or CEO right away, based on that pen !!

Scott

Mike!

I'm glad you posted pictures of the pen so everyone can see why you won the contest! And congratulations on being accepted into the PMG!

Everyone, I have handled this pen, and it is fully as amazing as it appears!

Scott.

tim self

Awesome doesn't describe the work! Definately thinking outside the box. And as far as raising the bar, it's up on the roof now.

Top Bottom