My other vice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TomS

TomS

A double holster set. Hand carved. About 4 hours per holster.

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 524
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomS

Thanks, Paul. It's not a real expensive hobby. I probably have $300 to $400 in tools. The good thing is the tools are not going to be up dated, or be replaced by something better every few months, like woodworking tools.
Tom

Padre

That is some beautiful work. Do you do it freehand? That is so cool.

TomS

Thanks Chip. That set is a copy of a set made by F. A. Meanea in the 1890's. I used a standard Colt Army pattern for the holster, and a reproduced carving pattern for the fancy stuff. If the gun is an uncommon style, I will make all the patterns. But I use pre-existing patterns also. I will alter the carving patterns to fit the holster.
Tom

Daniel

Nice work Tom, I have done a little bit of Leatherwork and know it is anything but a cheap hobby. My house slippers are a pair of Moccasins. I've never done the carving. I want to make myself a belt. I am tired of the store bought junk that they want $45 for if they are on sale. I bought a hand made belt when I was 18 years old at a swap meet for something like $15. Finally had to give it up when I was about 45. I have gone through three belts in the three years since then.

TomS

Thanks Daniel. I guess that's the only bad thing, in that good leather items last forever. It's hard to sell a purse when you tell her it will last 50 years. They have no reason to buy any more new ones.
Tom

Padre

Thanks Daniel. I guess that's the only bad thing, in that good leather items last forever. It's hard to sell a purse when you tell her it will last 50 years. They have no reason to buy any more new ones.
Tom

Uh huh, riiiiiight. :wink:

nava1uni

Beautiful work. I used to do leather work, as a street artist, here in town. I still have my leather tools. You are right, they never go out of style. I really like the feel and smell of leather. Your tooling and hand work is very masterful and fine. Thanks for sharing, it nice to see what people do besides wood. In fact, that could be a whole other thread.

TomS

Thanks Cindy. Were you able to make a living as a street artist? I'll bet you have some interesting stories about that time of your life.
Tom

nava1uni

Thanks Cindy. Were you able to make a living as a street artist? I'll bet you have some interesting stories about that time of your life.
Tom

Tom,
Yes, I made a good living for almost 6 years and then I traveled the US doing craft shows and along the way became an auto mechanic in San Antonio Texas at the Vocational School there. Came home and opened an automotive shop for the next 14 years before I took up another career as a biomedical engineer before I become an RN. It was a lot of fun and yes, many interesting stories. I still like doing leather work for myself and friends. It is very meditative.

Top Bottom