My Opinion on TBC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Hey Guys,

Today, I got my centers from Johnny. I just started to turn a Imperial, and oh man, there is no way I'll ever go back to a mandrel. It is so much more accurate and easier. I'd encourage anyone who is currently using a mandrel to switch. It will greatly improve your turning skills. Thanks Johnny for helping me get set up.

Have a good one!:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I recently got a bunch of stuff from Johnny, and I'll say this, My pens have turned out better. And I find it much easier, might just be me though.

JBCustomPens

I used factory bushings, but then I took them off when it was time to scrape or skew it down. Then I used calipers. I noticed that it was slightly out of round with the bushings, but after I scrapered it down, it went back to being round.

John M

I have only turned one pen using his stuff, tail stock and bushings, and it was pretty nice, and true the whole time. it is the best way to go.

bitshird

Unless it's something weird, or something I don't usually do I turn everything between centers. even made some delrin cones with a long taper, they work great for finishing, (thanks Lee)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Congrats JB.

For me, I don't push a method just because I do it, but I do push a method that offers better accuracy in a more simplistic package. The gain is for the user, not me. TBC also cuts down on the number frustrations. And puts people into turning with a few less steps.

Last edited:

Parson

I'm growing frustrated with turning with a mandrel. I seem to bend them now and then and then my material is warped. Can someone point me to a parts list for TBC and a tutorial?

handplane

Since I started TBC the only time I use the mandrel is to rough out 7mm blanks. Even they go between centers for final cutting and finishing. TBC is so much easier for me and things come out a lot better for me now.

JBCustomPens

I'm growing frustrated with turning with a mandrel. I seem to bend them now and then and then my material is warped. Can someone point me to a parts list for TBC and a tutorial?

The list actually isn't that complicated. Depending on what you plan to do, you can TBC with a dead center and live center. But, if you plan to drill on the lathe, you will probably need a collet chuck, drill chuck, and maybe even a steb center. Even though it may be a little confusing to start with, you will really appreciate the switch!:)

Top Bottom