My Most Challenging, My Most Rewarding Project - Crank Organ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

I started this last October and it is almost finished. I am waiting for some hinges to attach the front and top. This was a pretty challenging project and worth the work just to hear the first notes out of it. Could not have completed it without the help from a group over on the Family Woodworking Forum. It was so much fun I have collected plans for three other ones, just have to decide which one I want to tackle next. It is a John Smith Senior 20 organ, 20 notes, uses a paper roll. The plans and music rolls have to be ordered from the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

That is the plan, but I am waiting for some other organ builders to bless it.... We are getting together in the near future and I'm planning on having them help with a final tuning of the pipes. I'm real close, but don't understand music enough, nor hear well enough to make sure it is really in tune.

jyreene

Completely understandable. As awesome as that looks you wouldn't want it to sound bad! Kind of like a great looking pen that won't write!

PaulDoug

can we see inside?

Sure:
1st is the back, the black pipes are the bass pipes

2nd is the front showing the other interior pipes (I put 9 inside and 11 showing on the front) plus you can see the bellows with the air pressure reservoir on top of them.

3rd is another of the some of the interior pipes and the spring that puts pressure on the air reservoir.

Anyone interested in these there is a great thread on Family Woodworking.org called "Organ Build".

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 331
  • spring.JPG
    spring.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 322

eranox

That might just be the neatest thing I've ever seen on here. I've been thinking about making a music box using a large turned cylinder constructed from hardwood staves. The box would be "programmable" by means of removable pegs that fit into the cylinder, so that you could change the song from time to time.

I may just have to give those organ plans a look. That looks really cool!

Gregf

Thanks for posting the link to Familywoodworking I've looked at John Smith's site from time to time. Seeing the large build thread convinced me to order a set of plans. My father was a church organist, unfortunately I inherited none of his musical abilities.

Top Bottom