My latest pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SarabbyCreations

I'm new to pen turning, so constructive critique is appreciated.

Christian

Attachments

• DSC01457.jpg
    DSC01457.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01455.jpg
    DSC01455.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Nice pen! however, i prefer the background with the rock over the painting, it seems to drown out the pen more than the rock does. just my .02

ctubbs

Good job on the pen. Keep up the good work. Do not worry about giving a bargain on the first one you sell. Many have already done that before you.
Charles

Polarys425

Yeah, it takes a little time to work up your confidence to the point where you feel your work is worth more.

The only thing i think i see askew on that pen might be bushing alignment, or the hole drilled for the tube was oversize. Otherwise, nice kit selection, and a nice blank.

What finish did you put on it?

wiset1

Price is a factor of what you feel your time and effort are worth, not what the overall kit and material cost you. There will always be someone who will notice the beauty in your craft and pay your asking price. I was once told by my art teacher...if my paintings dont sell at the asking price, RAISE IT! Really though, work out an asking price for each pen prior to showing and then ask youself how low you WOULD sell it for if someone was on the edge. I sell my pens starting at $120 and up because that's what I think my time is worth and when I use blanks from Curtis it's easy to get that asking price. I always throw is the leather or wood display case with it to include info about the kit and wood used. I learned a lot from members of this forum and reading the books from Barry Gross, his acrylic DVD is awesome as well. See the links below for ideas from my pens. Congrats and best wishes

Bobalu

Nice pen, but I do believe you have a bit of an out-of-round issue going on there. Check the area around the center band. It looks low on one side and high on the other. I see it again in the lower barrel where the wood meets the band on the coupling. Looks like Amboyna Burl with perhaps a friction polish finish. Is that correct?

jttheclockman

Nice pen, but I do believe you have a bit of an out-of-round issue going on there. Check the area around the center band. It looks low on one side and high on the other. I see it again in the lower barrel where the wood meets the band on the coupling. Looks like Amboyna Burl with perhaps a friction polish finish. Is that correct?

Well Bobalu stole my thoughts too but that is a good thing for more than one person sees it and you did ask for critique.

You need to check some things with your setup because there is definetly out of round symptoms going on there. You see it on the cehter band as well as the lower end of the cap. One other thing lose the painting and if you want to use the rock as a prop, spin the pen so the cap is off to the side more so. It should be looking up not at us. One other thing, take the photo more on a 45 degree angle as opposed to looking straight down. Makes for better depth.

Not sure of the finish but it looks like a friction polish or if it is CA it needs more work to get a high shine unless you went for the satin look then it looks fine.

I know all this negative stuff but this is how we learn and please use it as a tool and not a knock on your work. I am sure after a few more you will be coming here and blowing us away with your creations. Good luck and do look into the mandrel problems.

Thank you all for your critiques. I'm not really sure what to check first regarding the out of round issue, but it is out of round for sure. Maybe the hole is not in the center of the blank?

Also, the finish is friction. I put a few coats on. Should there be more? What finishes do ya'll use?

On the photography, I am definetly still learning and will use your suggestions!

Top Bottom