My last commission...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi folks,

Every so often, I get asked to turn something and this time, was a burl part of 3 burls this fellow brought to me, nearly 1 1/2 years ago.

I have made 3 burl pieces for this same person but this time, and after so long having the burls here without any use, I decided to contact the owner and find out what he had in mind form these 3 burls.

He didn't seem to have a plan for them so, I asked him if he would sell them to me as I could do with some more burl wood for my larger Resifill blanks I'm making. I was surprised when he said "pick one of the 3 and turn it for me, you can have the other 2 as payment...!"

Well, that was suiting me to the ground so, cut the 2 burls into pieces so that I could stabilized them first and, was time for me to get my cobwebs off the wood turning tools.

I actually done most of the turning on Monday evening, sanded it yesterday and manage to get a couple of coats of Floorseal in it, before I went to bed.

I was expecting that the 2 coasts was enough, the wood is dense and was fine sanded so, that made it look OK with only the 2 coats. About lunch time today (24/06/2015), I took some pics of this piece and brought it inside the house, not so much for protection but more to utilize the warmth of the house from the fireplace going, is damn cold and wet, outside this time of the year, here...!:frown:

So, here it is, I can remember what the abbreviation here on the burls back, I know one was Yok the other Rem and this one, I forgot, I'm not that familiar with all the names of the Australia burls, I rarely work with them so, if you know what the burl species is, you are most welcome to share that with us.

I could try to find out but, why bother...??? it won't make any difference, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

I hope you like it, the wife Merissa, did try to claim it but, I was faster than her and told her that I was coming to the house with the latest turning I done but that, already had an owner...!

You're welcome to comment...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Mate!

I love the open grains and the natural form. So why are you making blanks ??? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

robutacion

Thanks everyone...!

My friend Mark James, asks me what am I doing making pen blanks, huh...??

Well mate, they help to pay the bills, turning bowls never did...!

In another hand, I tend to prefer this type of shapes, using as much of the natural outer edge as possible, I don't particularly like to waste all that burl wood for hollowing however, the wood is just too dry and hard to try putting a bowl saver on these, you would need to have a big and stronger lathe and equally strong banjo so, turning burls like this is OK when is someone else's money invested and, you are correct, I think that I do quite well with the deal, those 2 burls would cost a few bucks...!

I have some pen blanks made out of them also so, someone is going to get lucky...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

duncsuss

For somebody who had to clean the cobwebs off his turning tools, you did a pretty good job with that. It's gorgeous.

I'd guess that it's wishitweremine burl :biggrin:

Jim Smith

WOW! What a stunning piece of wood and a beautiful job turning that bowl. I'm sure your friend will be very pleased. Nice Job!!!

Jim Smith

Top Bottom