My Knife Concept Segmented Pen!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

This is a pen I just finished up today. I was inspired when I went searching knife sites for my mosaic brass inserts and had the idea about doing a pen that kind of had the same backbone as a knife.

Here are the materials I used:

Outside: Black Palm
Inside: Brazilian Cherry
Aluminum: 1/8th Inch center

This pen fought me from the very start! Black Palm is a real pain in the butt to deal with, but it looks pretty sharp when finished. I put a CA finish on it and then buffed it out with Steel Wool for a satin finish look. I will also say that because of the 1/8th inch aluminum backbone the blank heats up VERY fast and was difficult to drill and blewout twice.:eek:

6561366323_fbbc6464b1_z.jpg

6561366239_ee897bbeb1_z.jpg

Here are some of the steps I took...I made new cap and lower barrel accents out of Black Palm as well:

6561366371_862bfbfc86_z.jpg

As always, larger images can be seen on my IAP Gallery or my Flickr site which are both linked below:biggrin:

wiset1

Very nice Tim. You accuracy is amazing.

Really different than the segmented/scalloped pens right:biggrin: Lacks that flash and pop that the others had, but I really like it. The aluminum really added a weight to the pen that is truly solid and the satin finish is something new for me. I'll do two more of these pens in different woods a bit later to finish up the series. I already have one cut and ready to drill, but the third will have the mosaic pins in place of the aluminum studs. We'll see...

wiset1

Thanks Kevin, Thanks Allan, Thanks Lupe

Just having fun...waiting for the baby to come!!!!

OKLAHOMAN

I love it when people think outside of the box different is good and in your case great. We all learn when members like yourself take ideas and run with them, thank you.

wiset1

I love it when people think outside of the box different is good and in your case great. We all learn when members like yourself take ideas and run with them, thank you.

Roy, you're starting to bloat my ego:biggrin: Just kidding!

I'm just having fun with this hobby for now. I have a couple in the sketch book that I'll be working on later that I hope turn out, but my package arrived today from Ed and Dawn so I hope to be able to start my next pen...kind of a tribute one. I have one more thing I need to arrive then I can start:rolleyes:

Take it easy and best wishes!

Looks beautiful Tim. Does the blade come out and does it have a screw driver also?:biggrin: I can only imagine what it must be like to drill through an entire length of aluminum. I have drilled through aluminum that thick and had tons of trouble with it and it was not going the whole length. The final adds tons to it also.

islandturner

We're running out of adjectives here... :)

This is stunning -- inspirational... Thanks for posting and for details on how you did it....

MartinPens

Fantastic Tim! I think the mosaic pieces will really make the design. You are definitely turning out some fabulous pieces.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

PTownSubbie

Tim,

Beyond outside the box....I like it! It is a very stylish pen!

Well done as usual and Man....you ARE a machine!

Your choice of materials is what makes it art! I couldn't get the materials down...I don't have an eye for what goes well together...

wiset1

Tim,

Beyond outside the box....I like it! It is a very stylish pen!

Well done as usual and Man....you ARE a machine!

Your choice of materials is what makes it art! I couldn't get the materials down...I don't have an eye for what goes well together...

It's all guess work:biggrin: I tell you though...checking in with Ed and Dawn helps push my direction of woods. These woods however were a WC purchase.

Thanks for the feedback

wiset1

Tim,
It sounds like your knife pen was alot of work, but the end result is a work of art. I love the pen.

Tim

It really was a headache to be honest with you! I think the larger aluminum plate held the heat so well that it broke down the CA. I'll do a couple more, but I'm planning to take my time to keep the heat down.

BSea

Wow, I don't have the words to tell you how much I like this pen. But I did make one of the pics my background.

On a side note, I've used a collet chuck when drilling. But at times the hole gets off just a little. Does your method usually produce perfectly centered holes?

Brooks803

Tim, I'll have to echo much of what has already been said such as "beautiful, amazing, outstanding, perfect". I know I got a sneak peak at this bad boy but man it looks SOOOO much better on the big screen! Also, I LOVE the satin finish. It really makes everything stand out so much more. Keep it up partner! Can't wait for that super secret project to get finished :wink::biggrin:

wiset1

Wow, I don't have the words to tell you how much I like this pen. But I did make one of the pics my background.

On a side note, I've used a collet chuck when drilling. But at times the hole gets off just a little. Does your method usually produce perfectly centered holes?

Not always perfect, but it does a great job. Much better than the drill press method.

wizard

Congratulations!

Tim, Of all the stunning pens you have created, I like this pen the most!!!
You took the art of segmenting to another level to create a pen whose concept bridges a gap between two forms of functional art. I see a segmented black palm pocket knife in the future:wink:. Take a look at William Henry's work when you have time. I think you may have topped him.

More importantly, you are in the process of seeing one of the wondrous acts whose concept bridges the love of two people with the creative powers of nature. It's one of the most precious moments of your life....so get off the forum and go help push or something!!:biggrin:. All kidding aside, I wish you and your wife a safe and uneventful delivery. Tim, Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy and Wondrous New Year to you and your family!!, Warm Regards, Doc:)

Last edited:

wiset1

Tim, Of all the stunning pens you have created, I like this pen the most!!!
You took the art of segmenting to another level to create a pen whose concept bridges a gap between two forms of functional art. I see a segmented black palm pocket knife in the future:wink:. Take a look at William Henry's work when you have time. I think you may have topped him.

More importantly, you are in the process of seeing one of the wondrous acts whose concept bridges the love of two people with the creative powers of nature. It's one of the most precious moments of your life....so get off the forum and go help push or something!!:biggrin:. All kidding aside, I wish you and your wife a safe and uneventful delivery. Tim, Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy and Wondrous New Year to you and your family!!, Warm Regards, Doc:)

Thanks Doc! I'll look his work up while waiting around. She's resting now and it's a bit of a waiting game at this point. Just keeping my 6 year old son occupied at the moment.

Top Bottom