My first two - Pen & Pencil Cigar in Cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CapitalGGeek

CapitalGGeek

Here's the first two pens I've made. Gold cigar pen and pencil in cedar that I 'milled' myself, with a CA finish. Still haven't figured out how to get the swirl marks out of the finish yet.

Attachments

• Cedar-pen-pencil-small.jpg
    Cedar-pen-pencil-small.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Here's the first two pens I've made. Gold cigar pen and pencil in cedar that I 'milled' myself, with a CA finish. Still haven't figured out how to get the swirl marks out of the finish yet.

:):) Randy; Cedar makes interesting pens because of the color changes in a piece of wood. Good job on your first try!! One suggestion. Put your pens on a plain backround when you take photos. The busy backdrop takes away from the pens unless you are making a statement with your books. :bananen_smilies022:Try using a plactic polish such as One-Step as your final step. Jim S

Last edited:

Wright

Nice pens Randy, I like the ceder. As for the swirl marks, did you cross sand and go through all MM grits. I finish off with Novus 2, that helps take out small scratch marks. Hope this helps.

CapitalGGeek

Nice pens Randy, I like the ceder. As for the swirl marks, did you cross sand and go through all MM grits. I finish off with Novus 2, that helps take out small scratch marks. Hope this helps.
Cross-sanded up through 1200 grit, and then burnished with 5/0 steel wool. The swirl isn't in the wood, it's in the CA. I sanded & cross sanded with 1200 and 2000 on the 3rd & fourth coat, and did nothing on the final coat.

Wingdoctor

I buff my CA finish after sanding with Micro Mesh using the Beall Buffing System. 2 compounds and the blanks come out like glass.

Texatdurango

Cross-sanded up through 1200 grit, and then burnished with 5/0 steel wool. The swirl isn't in the wood, it's in the CA. I sanded & cross sanded with 1200 and 2000 on the 3rd & fourth coat, and did nothing on the final coat.
And there is your problem!

I too sand to 2000 grit then polish, but don't sand the CA with 2000 grit then apply another coat of ca, you'll never get a glass smooth finish that way. It's fine if you want a satin or matte finish. When I go for a more natural feel of the wood, I'll switch from paper towels to apply the CA to a much smoother "fancy dinner paper napkin" with no patterns embossed. That way your ca "applicator" is VERY smooth which will give you a nice smooth finish without swirls and ridges. Using very little ca and rubbing it on faster on your last coat will give you what you want. A little practice will get you there in no time.

Personally, I wouldn't sand the wood that fine and definitely wouldn't burnish it. Try sanding up to 600 or 800 then apply the ca, I think you'll be just as satisfied and you're giving the ca something to sink it's teeth into!

Last edited:

SDB777

Half the fun is milling the cedar, the whole neighborhood smells really great for a few hours when I crank my mill up!

Glad you turned the knot, most don't like to...knowing it'll give them a sanding challenge. The swirls can be greatly reduced by using something like Maguire's PlastixPolish(can get it cheap at most automotive store, and sometime WallyWorld).

Scott (thanks for the cool pens) B

Ben1212

looks very good for first two.

My opinion is that you turn it too fatty and it looks like your set has different diameter.
They both should be twins. Anyway it looks very good.
good luck.
Ben.

CapitalGGeek

Half the fun is milling the cedar, the whole neighborhood smells really great for a few hours when I crank my mill up!

Glad you turned the knot, most don't like to...knowing it'll give them a sanding challenge. The swirls can be greatly reduced by using something like Maguire's PlastixPolish(can get it cheap at most automotive store, and sometime WallyWorld).

Scott (thanks for the cool pens) B

I was disappointed that it didn't smell much. It's not the aromatic type of cedar. I was planning on turning Christmas ornaments out of it, to add a cedar smell to a plastic & steel tree, but it made nice pens.

I like knots, probably because they are more difficult to work with. I think the results are worth the extra effort.

I'll have to look for the PlastixPolish - I'm new to turning and the CA finish. I get good results by not sanding the final coat of poly, and thought it would be similar with CA.

Top Bottom