my first turns ever

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Here's my first attempts. So from watching all the videos and reading all the tutorials and advice given here on the forums, I did this.

First I took a dowel rod and turned a pen shaped thing.

gallery_41188_3_47150.jpg

gallery_41188_3_173225.jpg

Next one was a jacked up board and I practiced rounding a square. Time consuming - but not too difficult. My tool caught a couple times and kind of jerked back.

gallery_41188_3_9202.jpg

And the tools. These suckas are DULL. At least compared to my smaller block carving tools they are. I'm gonna have to work on these quite a bit. The skew is useless but the two gouges are okay.

Old Craftsman Professionals. I guess about 18" long. Very comfortable to hold. Just need em sharp.

gallery_41188_3_36084.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Nice start. If you have a woodworking store nearby, or a woodturners club, you can ask for a sharpening demonstration. For the first couple of years (and couple of hundred pens) I used an oilstone for all of my sharpening. The stone was about $5 and a bottle of 3-in1 oil was a few dollars. That would be a low cost way to start.

KBs Pensnmore

Not bad for a beginer, plenty of practice will be needed, try to get as much practice as possible with a skew, you'll find after a while sanding can start at 180/240 instead of 80grits. Think of a skew as a hand plane for round stuff.
The sharper the tools the better the cut plus it can be dangerous to work with BLUNT TOOLS. I've done some nice work with cheap tools but they were SHARP, didn't hold the edge for long though.
It's hard to say which is needed first, grinder or lathe. I have used a diamond file to put the edge back on my skews whilst doing club demo's.
Now all you need to do is buy a decent grinder, I use a grinder with a sanding belt attatchment, it does a good job without overheating the tool.
Regards
Kryn

TonyBal

I also want to jump on the "sharp tools" band wagon. Dull tools are very frustrating to work with & dangerous. Investing in a good sharpening system, (for example 2 speed grinder with the Wolverine attachments) will enhance your fun & speedup your learning curve. Having is set up all the time make it easy to do sharpening touchups which will only take a second or two (literally) & make a huge difference in your turning. Just because if may feel razor sharp does not necessarily mean it is razor sharp & trust me you want it razor sharp. Also get a face shield. Safety glasses alone will not cut it when a piece comes flying off of the lathe at your face. Learn to use the skew. Learning & understanding the skew will give you the fundamental skills you will need to know what is happening on the lathe. It will also make it easier to learn the other tools. Good luck, be safe & stick with it. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Two observations; First is that pen shaped spindle thingy is a pretty good start towards your first kitless pen. :biggrin: It's actually not a bad shape!!:wink:
Second, the sawdust on the bed indicates that the tool rest was in that position while you were turning that 2x2:confused: Did you manage to move the tool rest away without disturbing the sawdust or do you have arms like Popeye?:confused::biggrin:

watch_art

Thanks!

Just ordered a small VS bench grinder so I'm good to go there, now.
Also ordered dust masks and a face shield.

Tool rest got moved for the photo so the pen stick could stay in place for the shot.

:)

Drstrangefart

Thanks!

Just ordered a small VS bench grinder so I'm good to go there, now.
Also ordered dust masks and a face shield.

Tool rest got moved for the photo so the pen stick could stay in place for the shot.

If you're gonna use a bench grinder to sharpen, get a white wheel for it. It's not the BEST option out there, but it's pretty easy to use, and has been more than sufficient for me for a year or two now.

watch_art

One thing I've learned from looking at grinding wheels for my little dremel is that color is no indicator of grit or quality.

What's a white wheel?

AnachitlPut

i never use 3 and 1 oil unless i can help it. the only reasion i use it now is beouse my grandfather had it and i use that bottle. the reasion is they support abortion. oh and for the pen looks great now just need to work with kits and your be great. it would make a great kitless pen though.

wiset1

Really great start and as noted...you're already well on your way to making kitless :biggrin:

paintspill

gotta start somewhere. and 2xsomething pine is actually really hard to turn. as for a really easy and cheap way to start sharpening is some 400 and 600 grit wet dry sandpaper spray adhered to a piece of glass or marble tile. i hone all my turning tools this way.

watch_art

Thanks! I'm actually thinking really really hard about one of those carbide skrogger tools. Thoughts? I like the idea of not having to sharpen...

Haynie

Face shield is a must. I heard of a guy who got a chunk of acrylic up his nose while doing Christmas pens. The resulting bloody nose during extracting hurt like hell. But I just heard about the guy doing it. He is lucky it was not his eye. Did not happen to me personally...nope...not me. I always use my face shield....now.

Remember to relax at the lathe. I find my skew catches when I tense up.

watch_art

Face shield is on its way as of this morning. Along with a live center and a little bench grinder. Some dust masks... uhmm..... I think that's all I needed. Ordered some blanks off of ebay too!

flyitfast

That Craftsman set looks like mine. I really like the spindle gouge and I have ground the skew with a curved grind which makes it more forgiving. Love 'em, but as has been said, gotta sharpen them frequently.
Making a practice pen shape is a great idea. :good:
Keep it up.
gordon

Top Bottom