My first try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Laurenr

This is my first shot at "Worthless Wood," ala Curtis. I think it came out pretty good. What I can say about Curtis' blanks, HE DOESN'T CHARGE ENOUGH!!:tongue:

Attachments

• First try 1.jpg
    First try 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 181
  • First try 2.jpg
    First try 2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 133
  • First try 3.jpg
    First try 3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 138
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

looks great for a 1st try, you shoulda seen mine! Did you use Alumilite or PR? I just took another trial out of the pot yesterday and I'll be cutting them up in a few to see how they came out. Can't wait to see the end results!

Tanner

Looks great. It appears the resin got in all the nooks and crannies. What did you use for resin and color? Do you use a pressure pot?

Laurenr

I pretty much followed the gospel according to Seebeck. It is Alumilite crystal clear, one drop of blue, and a sprinkle of metallic. It was under pressure for several hours, and then sat in the mold overnight.

workinforwood

Great looking pen blank, especially for a first try! Now you just need to balance the blank more so that you have a more even mix of wood and resin along the length of the blank, rather than more resin on one end and more wood on the other. You can tune your wood blank real easy with a typhoon bit in a dremel type tool to help balance out the wood and yet still keep it looking natural.

workinforwood

Harbor Freight, Woodcraft, any woodworking store...probably even the box stores have them. It is a very aggressive carving bit that goes in a rotary tool...you can have some real fast fun with those.

My computer is way too slow...I was going to show you one. Do a search for "typhoon Burr" there is a ton of options, sizes, shapes...they can be cheap or expensive...you don't need expensive for worthless wood. Sometimes you can get a whole set at HF of typhoon burrs for 5-10 bucks.

Don't get me wrong either...your blank looks really super...the typhoon comment is just a tip to make it even better, because then you don't just have to always have that perfect piece of wood for the job...you can mangle up your own piece.

bitshird

Laurner, I think it's great for you first or even 100th try I don't think there need to be any particular proportioning, but to each his own, some times it is nice to add some character by making a few worm trails, but like I said to each his own. Keep up the great work

SDB777

Wish your photo's were bigger....my old, tired eyes don't see all that well anymore.

From what I can see though is you did a super job.

Scott (your hooked now) B

Top Bottom