My first top... and a worthy cause

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimB

JimB

I don't have a picture of it but keep reading to find out why.

I belong to the turning club here. The club meets monthly and mostly it is talking about turning, showing our work and some demonstations by the members. This Saturday there was a top -making tournament of sorts. I've never made a top so I wanted to go but my Saturday was full. Well, I found a spare hour and just showed up. I didn't have my tools, wood or anything else except a pair of safety glasses. I thought I would just be observing since you were to sign up to participate.

Well, there was a lathe available (they had 8 Jet 1014's set up) and someone to teach me. The club members who were the instructors for us newbies-to-tops are all very experienced turners. I learned a lot more than just making a top.

Lesson#1 - By tweaking my approach I am now even better at making a square blank round. It's amazing what a small change can do.
Lesson #2 - I had never used a scroll chuck before. I knew I wanted one but now I REALLY want one.
Lesson #3 - I now know how to correctly use a fingernail spindle gouge without having it skate across the blank. And I can make really smooth cuts with it.

Having someone with many years of experience stand by your side for 40 minutes is priceless.:biggrin:

:) Now for the best part and the reason there is no picture. My first top, along with all the others that were made by the 30 turners that participated will be given to the kids at a local Children's Hospital.

I went, I learned, I made, I gave... along with many other woodtuners. It was a good hour.

These two youtube videos aren't us but shows how we made the tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzT6TcezIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNdopAd4jpI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jim, I think for this situation we can waive the rule of "no pictures it didn't happen" :cool:

Thanks for a good story with a great ending. I'm sure the kids will love their new tops. :good:

JimB

I should have mentioned we started with a 2"x2"x6" blank and made 2 tops from each blank. Turned it round between centers then mounted in the chuck. As you can see in the videos, once mounted in the chuck it only takes a few minutes to turn the top.

Made the first one at the tailstock end (used tailstock for support) and parted it off with spindle gouge or skew and then made the second one (no tailstock used).

Top Bottom