My first Polymer Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Okay, I didn't want to ge really involved with this till I had a better look. But this weekend JoAnn's had SculpeyIII for $1 for a 2oz pack.

I feel like a beginner here. But all comments welcome. It's a mini SL.

Attachments

• MiniSL SculpeyIII Chrome.jpg
    MiniSL SculpeyIII Chrome.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 300
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief Hill

Well it looks good from here. Now seeing as there are pages of people telling how they like this or don't like turning polymer. How did it go for you from the start? Ie baking. Tube install, turning etc.

SamThePenMan

Cool, I was just at Michaels today and saw some PC for a little under $2, not as low as you found though. I really wanna try turning PC but I'm not really setup to do pens right now as I'm living in an apartment. I can haul my lathe onto the back porch, but I don't have any thing to sit it on other than the ground. I could make a "stand" for it from the bunch of 2x4s i have though. Lease is up on this place at the end of Jan though, so hopefully my wife and I can find a house to rent that has a garage or spare bedroom that I can use :)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well it looks good from here. Now seeing as there are pages of people telling how they like this or don't like turning polymer. How did it go for you from the start? Ie baking. Tube install, turning etc.

I read most everything I could find here. And I red the very simple instructions on my SculpeyIII packages. Bake at 275F 15 minutes.

I cut 2 strips of wood 4"x1/2"x1/4" and taped them down on wax paper so that I would have a reference to that " 1/4" thickness 15min."

After playing with some of the dough awhile to warm and loosen it up, I made my coil pattern, set it between the 2 boards that were 1/4" high, rolled the clay flat - even with the board. Then I picked the clay up and wrapped it around the tubes.

I have an oven that automatically turns off after time set is done. I let them set for hours (no particular reason.) And when I put the blanks on the lathe and began turning, I got the most beautiful little squiggly ribbons and knew it was all okay. I had no problem with soft, chipping or like that. Its not something you turn thin. It has a nice, warm feel in the hand.

I thought it was fun. I'll make more. But I'm still going to turn wood, M3 and Acrylics, too. I need to test how it hold up to "abuse" before I actually sell them with my guarantee.

Top Bottom