Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ziegler WoodWork & Spec.

My Post from Sunday:
I did not know where to put this at first so here's my first experience with
Pen turning:
Ok, Someone may need to direct me where to post this but for now its here.
Was too cold to do anything outside today but here is what I did instead.
I used Granadillo (pronouned granideeo) Slim line design from WoodCraft,
using a White Side pen mandrel and trimmer. Turned on my PM4224 B
used mostly my square finisher but started out with the rougher. Sanded up
to 400, then used the white scotch brite style pad, followed by about 8-10 coats
of Craft Supplies USA CA glue and accelerator, then buffed out with the Dr Kirk's 3 step
polish and scratch freee woodturners polish wax.
I gifted my wife with this first pen.
What an awesome time turning this pen. Is he addicted???????????? yes he is!

Kind regards,

Tim

Attachments

• First Pen on Oak BG.png
    First Pen on Oak BG.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 189
  • First Pen  2022.png
    First Pen 2022.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20220102_161639607 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220102_161639607 (1).jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 183
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

That's a nice pen. I also enjoy pen turning... especially the fact that it doesn't necessarily need to be an expensive hobby. The second pen you turn typically only costs a few dollars. But that first pen costs hundreds so it's important to pick who gets it carefully... and to subtly slip into the conversation that it cost hundreds of dollars. Haha!

greenacres2

I hope that 4224 was up to the task!! ;) You know how those "little" lathes can start to dance until you get the blank round!!

Great first pen!!
earl

Woodchipper

Nice pen and first of many. I took the class at the local Woodcraft store. Slimline was done in purpleheart and claimed by the wife. She keeps it in her Bible cover. I see it every Sunday.

sorcerertd

Ha, another one hooked. Looks great!

I love Granadillo. It seems to be a generalized name for a couple different species, but it's one of my favorite woods for it's chatoyance. If you like that one, try out some Chechen, too.

That's a nice pen. I also enjoy pen turning... especially the fact that it doesn't necessarily need to be an expensive hobby. The second pen you turn typically only costs a few dollars. But that first pen costs hundreds so it's important to pick who gets it carefully... and to subtly slip into the conversation that it cost hundreds of dollars. Haha!
Your right on, on that statement but yes so well worth it. thanks

Ha, another one hooked. Looks great!

I love Granadillo. It seems to be a generalized name for a couple different species, but it's one of my favorite woods for it's chatoyance. If you like that one, try out some Chechen, too.
Hey Todd, thanks yes its full of secrets once you turn it. Wow. I will have to look that species up the exotic world is full of cool wood. Acrylics are coming too.

Nice pen and first of many. I took the class at the local Woodcraft store. Slimline was done in purpleheart and claimed by the wife. She keeps it in her Bible cover. I see it every Sunday.
Hey John great deal. that means she really cherishes it. I really appreciate where you said she keeps it. Yes I gifted my wife with it and it almost brought me to tears giving it to her. Thanks again for sharing and commenting John

I hope that 4224 was up to the task!! ;) You know how those "little" lathes can start to dance until you get the blank round!!

Great first pen!!
earl
Thanks Earl, Yeah pretty big project for it lol. I have swung some big spindles on there. It just seemed to be the place to turn it. lol
I'm going to turn one on one of my legacy's too. I posted on that LOM forum and wow everyone turns pens but has never said anything. j
was an excellent conversational post for sure. Well I'm hooked for sure.

magpens

thanks Mal, was sure a lot of fun and learned a lot in that little while, but just a tip of the ice berg lol

There seems to be no end to the learning, Tim ! !

But the strange thing is that one's friends can't always see that. . . Many people think : . .

" Oh, you're making pens ? . Nothing to it ! . Just put some material on the lathe and turn it round ! ! "

But there really is a lot more to it than that simple and erroneous statement implies.

Anyway . . pay not heed to the naysayers . . just carry on learning.
'Cause it is the learning that really is the essence of the fun ! ! ! :D

BTW . . . Can you give me a link (again) to that LOM forum, please.
I sent a request to join but have not heard back yet.

Top Bottom