My First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alex D

Alex D

Well, I've been a woodturner for about a week now. In that time I have made some toothpicks and now, finally, a pen.

It is a good 'ol slimline out of padauk, finished with Wood Turners Finish.

20131104_205053.jpg

Plenty of warts, I know. The barrels are a tad undersized, but for a first go at it, and my first completed turning projet of any kind, I'm plenty happy.

This stuff is addictive though and I am getting ready to step up to an apprentice Jr. Gent next.

Thanks!
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Nice first try Alex. Keep up the good work and remember it's important once the pen is done to count your fingers and make sure you still have what you started with...

D.Oliver

You are off to a great start. Here is a link to the local chapters forum. There are a couple for California. If they aren't too far from you it could be a great opportunity to pick of some great tips and meet some other turners. Look foward to seeing some more of your work.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f73/

Alex D

Thank you for all the kind words. I will look up my local group and use them as a learning tool as well.

Expensive is an understatement! The funny thing is that my lathe cost a fraction of what I have spent on acessories and pen stuff already! I am a fan of old American machines, so I picked up a 1947 Delta 1460 lathe. Overkill for pens, but pens aren't all I plan on doing.

I think I paid $100 for the lathe. Swapped out the bearings, added a 3 phase motor and a variable frequency drive and I now have a fully variable speed 1947 lathe for less than $300 (not including my own time rehabbing everything and wiring it all up).

Then came the expensive part! Chucks, mandrels, bushings, pen kits, blanks...you all know the drill. So far I have been able to convince my wife that it will pay for itself through turned Christmas presents for family and friends. Probably not, but I'll have a lot more fun making them than going to the mall!

Alex

turncrazy43

Very nice first. You should be proud. Now the fun is just beginning. But, your bank account will now take a hit as you progress. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom