My first pen with a CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikePittman

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePittman

My first attempt at finishing a pen using CA glue. It came out ok but I was disappointed because it left a tiny ripple effect across the finish. I am not sure what I did wrong because I did 3 coats with 200, 600, and 2000 grit sandpaper in progression. I did watch the video on this site but I am at a loss what cause the small ripples. Any advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated. :D

2007121319373_finished%20Wall%20Street%20II.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

mike, 400 grit works really well to get rid of swirls/ripples. you might just need to sand between coats if it's rippling when you apply it. good looking pen!

underdog

You could always do what software developers do...

"If you can't fix it, feature it."

Those aren't ripples, those are grip ridges.

Nice looking pen.
And by the way, your CA glue finish came out better than mine did. I tried and tried and tried, and finally gave up, and just put some lacquer on....

louisbry

Good looking pen. It nicely features your excellent segmenting work. I find that CA/BLO works better for me. If I don't use BLO then I usually need to sand between coats to get the same results.

txbatons

I agree with Louis. When I do just CA it leaves ripples. BLO smooths it out and also acts as an accelerant. I'll do several coats then sand with MM to get the finish I like.

Segmenting looks great, by the way!

GaryMGg

Sometimes I nail a CA finish, sometimes it nails me.
When the latter occurs, all is not lost -- it just takes longer.
When ripples form in the CA, sand lightly and patiently until they're just gone.
IF that requires getting as far down as bare wood, so be it -- Apply more CA as needed.
It's a process. The more perfect the base levels, the more perfect the final finish.

R2

That is a good looking pen and really great work on the segmentation.[:)]
You might care to relect on the following;
Gary's comments above are excellent
What you used to apply the CA
Sufficient drying time between coats
Sanding between coats
The atmosperic conditions at time of application
Use of thin or medium CA
lathe speed at application time
Hope this is of fome help.[:)]

gerryr

Nice segmenting work. The ripples in your CA are caused by insufficient sanding. When I use CA, I never sand between coats because I believe it's wasted effort and I don't use BLO. I apply it with a paper towel and the lathe running. After I put on however many coats, I start sanding with 320 grit, first with the lathe on and finally lengthwise with the lathe off. Then I move to 400 grit and sand lengthwise only. Then I move on to MM. It works for me at least 90% of the time.

MikePittman

I am using medium (gap filling) on a paper towel to apply the CA. I then use a dry part of the towel to go over the pen (like I saw in someone's video). Once it's dry, I start with 200 grit, then 400, then 1200. I do this 3 times. I done have any micro mesh, but I think it's time. I only used CA by itself.

edstreet

Ripples in CA? Not a problem. Get you some brownells 555 compound and put it on a loose wheel, I use 800 grit when I put the ca glue on then take it to the buffer after that. I have a 6" bench grider I use. One side is my buffing wheel the other is the 1k sharpening stone for the chisels

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=600&st=&s=2519

This stuff works miracles, fast and easy. Touch it lightly on the wheel and rotate slowly, you will have a mirror finish in seconds.

Ed

SherryD

what speed are you applying the ca, I do not apply ca at faster than 500 rpm, sand faster but apply the ca at the slower speed. I had similiar problem until i turned down the lathe speed. also sand until there is uniform frosted look and then reapply again 3 or 4 times. I do not use BLO at any time. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom