My first mod - fat slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dustmaker

dustmaker

I read somewhere that you could easily fatten up a slim by turning your own center band. So I thought, why not, let's give it a try. I used a 3/16" piece of gold acrylic cutoff. All went pretty well, except I turned all three pieces on the mandrel to ensure a flush fit and, well, it is a bit out of round. I would be interested in hearing any techniques for this not involving the mandrel.

Kit is Black Ti Slimline and blank is celluloid from CSUSA. Thanks for looking and any tips you might like to pass on.

Attachments

• FatSlim11.jpg
    FatSlim11.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 372
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Can't help with the mandrel-less, but I can help on the out of round.
1. without backing up the tailstock, loosen the nut
2. spin the tubes on the mandrel ~ 1/4 turn. Get everything round again
3. Do this 2 or 3 times during the turning process (I usually start after everything is round).
This way if you are out of round, you will be out of round in more places which will make you more round.

glycerine

3. Do this 2 or 3 times during the turning process (I usually start after everything is round).
This way if you are out of round, you will be out of round in more places which will make you more round.

I used to have to do that when I was using my drill press as a lathe!

dustmaker

Thanks, I will give that a try next time.

workinforwood

It's interesting Frank. I would have made it look more like a euro, not that there is anything wrong with your way..the euro way is just more pleasing to me. You don't need to make it as 3 pieces, you make it as 2 pieces. The center band is glued on to the upper blank before you drill it and you would let it be maybe a 1/16 longer than you want it to be. Then you drill it. The centerband is what..3/16 wide? Mark the width of the centerband with a ruler on the blank..so 3/16 from the solid blank into the centerband. place the tube on the blank and mark it's location. Trim the blank. Glue in the tube so it's basically flush with the solid end, not the centerband end of the blank. You barrel trim that end flush. The centerband end you will only barrel trim off about 1/16 of material. So the blank is longer than the tube, but only on the centerband side. It will still fit into your bushings the same as before. You can spin the nib side of the pen first, then mic the centerband side of that spun blank. Now you can spin the upper half to be the same size or larger. Of course, since you use a mandrel system, you can spin both blanks just like any slim, but in the center you don't need to go all the way down to the bushing unless you want to..or you can just take out the middle bushing once the blanks are rounded enough that the barrel trimmed ends will snug together.

dustmaker

Jeff, after reading your post it sounds so easy. Don't know why I didn't think of going that way. I have centers and bushings for TBC, but didn't see an easy/reliable way to do it without the mandrel until now. Something else to try. Thank you.

dustmaker

Thanks for the comments, you guys are great. It was my first attempt at something "beyond the kit". I will definitely be trying more, and then, maybe even wander into segmenting...

jeffnreno

Great looking pen - I turn almost all of my slims without the kit centerband. A lot of them I turn each piece round - then put them together on the mandrel and turn them to final shape with no centerband.

Top Bottom