My first kitless attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Amihai

Amihai

Redheart, Yellowheart and Bocote.
I definitely learn with time, but that whole kitless thing is a much tougher journey than I thought it will be.
How do you CA finish kitless pens without glue getting stuck to the ebonite parts? I tried to tape them, but the tape ended up glued together to the threads with the finish. What a mess!

Thanks for looking,
Amihai Fishman.

Attachments

• P1001389.jpg
    P1001389.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 120
  • P1001363.jpg
    P1001363.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P1001359.jpg
    P1001359.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 129
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wimkluck

Just two weeks ago I made my first kitless pen. I have the same problem. I also taped the ebonite. Then a used my skew. The result is not 100%
Next time I will try to make a different ebonite insert, turn the wooden tube, finish it and then glue both.

sorins

I had the same problem sometimes, but what I did was: I always use paper towel, I use thin layers of CA, so not to much on the towel, I try as much as possible to start applying from the opposite side of the thread towards the thread, so the amount of CA at the threaded end is smaller. Every 2-3 layer I try remove the tape from the thread, in this way the layer of CA which inevitably will run over the tape will easily brake without damaging the CA on the pen. Finally, after almost each layer I try cleaning the edge of the pen, where the wood finishes and the threaded insert starts, with a small piece of clean towel. Be careful in this case, the extra CA you will clean it from that area might goes back over the end of the wood and you'll end up with a very small shoulder of CA right where the wood ends., which you'll have to remove it, either by sanding it, or by applying more CA on the rest of the wood so will become level. I hope I was not too confusing in my explanations. These are valid for the barell, for the cap is easier, you may want to have a suitable mandrel with a M13(14 etc) threaded tenon in which you will fix the cap, ideally avoid having a flush passing from the cap to mandrel body, otherwise you'll glue them together. The extra CA which will form at the end of the cap you'll sand it later, just hold the cap vertical over a 120 grit sand paper and make round movements without any pressure, clockwise and counterclockwise.

derekdd

Excellent work!

Bob of RJB woodturning on YT uses a paste wax between the two before applying CA finish.

One of his videos where he turns a kitless rollerball in Olive, he does this and shows how well it works. He also CA'd the heck out of the threads on the olive wood to make them hold up better. He even CA'd the tenon before cutting it with the die to tighten the wood and fibers together.

Top Bottom