My First Kauri Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaurikid

Kaurikid

I purchased this kit from an online Taiwan company and if all pen kits are this easy to construct I shouldn't be having any headaches with future ones!

Anyway this one I decided to clothe in Swamp Kauri which I purchased on a visit to see my son in New Zealand. He owns a tree business there and as an arborist for the last 18 years so I have had the good fortune to come across some amazing woods.

Most of my other woodwork is influenced by my love of this wonderful ancient wood. So when I came across pen kits 2 months ago, while surfing the net, I thought I need to know how Kauri would look.

Since this one I've bought kits from Rockler in the USA and I am now finding out what this pen turning hobby is all about and I must say it's fun.

I must say though the quality of some of the kits is questionable so I'll be looking for something a lot better if anyone can recommend a top of the kits brand name please.

Enjoy. . . . .

Attachments

• DSCF0002 A.jpg
    DSCF0002 A.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
For your first pen turning... mighty nice!

Yup, better kits are available, but have FUN!

Nice job, and welcome to IAP.

Check out the IAP Forum Vendors!!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Dayacom is a good Taiwanese seller. Some of their kits are really good.

Many of the Vendors here get most of their kits from Asia and you should be forewarned that shipping to China is both expensive and (unless one uses express shipping) slow. Shipments by way of USPS can only be tracked if they are shipped with one of the more expensive shipping choices.

So if you buy from the USA vendors buy enough to justify a pretty high shipping charge.

Kaurikid

Thanks Smitty, I orde quite a few things from the USA because I can't find many quality things here in China. Seems stupid but unless I can find the factory that makes items for American companies and buy direct from them I have to use the states.

The Chinese factories are very willing to sell you stuff though they know they shouldn't. Of coarse there are the copies but these things are normally rubbish. One good thing here is getting things made and cheap as there are so many CNC factories you just have to keep an eye on them during the process.

I use friends on business trips to bring things back for me so I seldom pay postage. Band Saw Blades Direct and Carter are 2 of my favorites. Wood I normally pick up on my holidays around Asia.

Thanks and regards
Steve

Kaurikid

Hi Harry,

Thanks for that. I'm sure having fun with the lathe turning but sadly I'm very limited with the size of things I can make on my Hobbymat with a DIY wood conversion. But at the moment the pens and small round bits are very satisfying.

Regards
steve

Top Bottom