My first FP...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbswearingen

jbswearingen

...and first time with spalted amboyna burl. Boy, this stuff is PRETTY!

It's a Jr. Gent, sanded to 400, wiped with BLO, and then 10 coats of CA. Sanded through MM twice, then polished with PlastX.

Critiques and comments welcome!

DPP_0390Medium.jpg

DPP_0391Medium.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Brad - While your pen and your photos look great, for future reference, you should use the stand so the nib is up and not in the hole. The weight of the pen on the nib like that will usually get the nib out of alignment and effect the ink flow.

You got to love two-tone amboyna. You have a treat when you turn with the aroma and you have a treat when you finish with a beautiful pen. Kudos on a job well done.

jbswearingen

Ah, thanks. I didn't know that.

I do have one problem, though. I can't get the wood grain to line up. I put it together as directed, spinning the cap coupler onto the body and THEN pressing it together, but when I do that, it doesn't screw on lined up.

Any advice?

IPD_Mr

I do have one problem, though. I can't get the wood grain to line up. I put it together as directed, spinning the cap coupler onto the body and THEN pressing it together, but when I do that, it doesn't screw on lined up.

Any advice?

Usually I will sand the inside of the tube so that the fitting will slide on. Get it aligned, pull it out a bit then use loctite. Don't use CA for this. loctite is good as the pen can still be knocked apart if need be and the CA can fog up the metal on the section.

penmanship

yeah, I see your problem. If I were you, I would not show it around......in fact, I wouldn't even keep it around. You should ship it off, far away.......say Canada! lol. I can offer a good home, if you care to. :biggrin:Just kidding, beautiful finish & great piece of Amboyna. Well done!

Any advice?

BSea

Really nice pen. I have converted my preference to fountain pens. I'll make other types, but personally, I really like using fountain pens. And who doesn't love Amboyna? That's a great looking pen.

Last edited:

cwolfs69

Any advice?

don't forget those are four start threads. you can start screwing the cap on in 4 positions. if not lined up unscrew keeping in place until you feel a little click then screw back on . you can do this in 4 spots to get proper alignment.

oh yeah almost forgot. gorgeous pen.

bitshird

That is a very pretty chunk of lumber, I love Amboyna, been fighting a piece this afternoon, Remember if you are going to be a true Fountain Pen Snob, your ink should compliment your pen, Amboyna goes well with Private Reserve Arabian Rose!!

jbswearingen

Thanks, Wolf!

And thanks to all for the compliments. I should have said that the last time I raided Jon's stash he gave me this piece. Looked ugly in the rough, but I knew it would look great when done.

jbswearingen

I gotta admit, guys, all I did was turn it into a cylinder and then apply a finish. I really had nothing to do with how pretty the wood is!

drgoretex

SWEET pen! I love amboya. Love the smell, love the look. The CA finish makes jewellery out out of beautiful wood. Very nicely done!

Ken

Top Bottom