My first few

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb007

mb007

After receiving a lathe for Christmas, I finally managed to get around to turning a few pens over the past couple days. I'd never turned anything before, I'm a complete beginner. :)

First is the pen I made at the Indy Woodworking Show. It's Rosewood with a friction polish finish. I did most of the shaping and sanding, but had assistance with the rest of the process.

Second is a slimline made from a blank from a block of random blanks I bought at the woodworking show. It has a nice curly figure that I wasn't able to photograph. This one also taught me that if the bushings I have are painted black and I hit it with sandpaper - it's going to turn my pen black! Finish is HUT friction polish.

Third is a european pen made with a Tulip blank. I tried a CA finish, but only used a few coats.

Fourth is a rose gold and black Ti Aero with a metallic purple "freebie" from Exotic Blanks. This kit was probably a bit too nice for my skill level - I was very nervous while turning it. This one goes to my wife as a thank you for letting me park her car outside in the cold so I could turn a few pens! I used micro mesh up to 12000 on this one, and finished with HUT plastic polish and a coat of Turtle Wax Ice.

Fifth is another slim with a random blank. Friction polish for the finish.

Last is a euro with a random blank. This blank was the hardest wood I've encountered yet. I botched the CA finish on this one. I put 10 coats of CA on, and it looked pretty good. I then tried to wet sand before using a plastic polish, but it clouded up on me.

I still have a long way to go, but I can see how this could be addicting! :biggrin:

-Matt

Attachments

• 1sm.jpg
    1sm.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 2sm.jpg
    2sm.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 153
  • 3sm.jpg
    3sm.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 4sm.jpg