My first few pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edd9000

edd9000

I started doinfg these the end of November with an intention of making a set for my wife as a christmas present.

Excuse the quality on some of the shots, my workshop camera is a bit poor.

Cigar in box elder:
IMGP1406.jpg

Penn state executive in acrylic:
IMGP1396.jpg

Penn State tychoon in red palm, poor finish but its one of my first attempts at CA

IMGP1395.jpg

The pens and box I made for my wife. The box is made from a piece of oak taken from a delivery pallet. My woodworking skills are rather poor but slowly improving.

IMGP1399.jpg

Here is how im turning the pens on my 18x60 metal lathe:

IMGP1408.jpg

My improvised tool rest:

IMGP1409.jpg

And a few better pictures of my wifes pens and a Jr Gentleman kit in spalted maple i took with my decent camera:

untitled-6066.jpg

untitled-6069.jpg

D300-6057.jpg

D300-6063.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Nice looking pens - great pics, too. Arty shots are nice, but pics where you can really see the details of the pen are what I like to see and you are doing a great job in that department.

Rangertrek

The pens look good and so do the pics. Quite a lathe set up for pens, almost looks over powering for pens! I agree with Tony, get the pics simple, plain background, show the pen details. On the boxes, I have found I can buy a nice box at much less cost to make it myself unless there is something special required.

wizard

WOW! Those are some beautiful pens and outstanding photographs!! That is some overkill on that lathe with the pen turning :eek:. Be patient... It takes a little while to get a CA technique and finish that you will like. Keep up the great work...Thank you for showing. Regards, Doc

edd9000

The lathe is indeed over kill, thats a 12" chuck I'm holding the mandrel with. The only problem ive had so far is keeping my knuckles away from the chuck, getting better at that.

I'm pretty happy with the CA finish ive achieved on the last few pens, I purchased a buffer which helps since the lathe is limited to about 1500rpm.

Thanks all.

ctubbs

Beautiful pens and box also. That chuck, even at 1500, will teach you to watch where your knuckles and other body parts are at all times. By the way, if it catches your clothes, hope they are rotten so they will tear away. You will not bog that monster down even a little. Congratulations on some fine work and photos.
Charles

Top Bottom