My First Experiments with Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from va3jff

va3jff

Hi All.

Picked up a great deal on some Bakelite, and decided to try my first experiments with it as to not lose a great deal of $$$ if all goes wrong.

First pic shows the raw yellow swirl Bakelite, and the second shows the outer patina removed and that it is in fact white (as I had hoped when I saw it).

Drilling was a different matter ... and I broke one half of the blank. That left me with a shorty blank, and a determination to make it into a pen.

The shorty Sierra is the result. It is a Sierra pen with the click extender removed. The tube was painted with grape pearl acrylic paints, and the epoxy was dyed the same grape pearl to match. Pen was turned to size and then sanded through 12000 MM before a couple coats of Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish really brought out the shine!

The end result is something to see. The depth of the colour is lost in the two dimensional photo, but the swirls produced varying degrees of purple from a deep dark colouring to a full white.

The Bakelite worked well, except for my drilling error, but I had no issues on the 2nd half of the blank, so I will try some more in the not too distant future.

All comments are welcome.

Jeff

Attachments

• bake1.jpg
    bake1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 104
  • bake2.jpg
    bake2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 108
  • bake3.jpg
    bake3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

tim self

Nice pen, I do like it. I would like to see it with a lighter color fill but that's my personal opinion. Looking for some myself.

Top Bottom