My First Complete Kitless!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

The whole point of this kitless thing is to do it your own special way, so keep that in mind here:rolleyes::redface:. After getting really tired of messing with taps and dies, I decided to try the whole thing with tight friction fits. The "section" actually is really tight fitting with 6.5mm and 7mm holes, and I don't think I'll need to use a tap to hold it in on later pens. The section to pen body however, really needs threads as it will sometimes come out when you pull off the cap. I really like the friction fitting cap though, I can hold the pen by the cap and shake it hard, and it won't come off the body! Later I'm going to try to develop a snap fit cap, but I'm happy with the way it is now. The fit and finish are sloppy, but I am more focused on keeping it together for the first few trys. The acrylic is Madreperlato olive green, the clip is a black T/N Churchill, and the section and finial are corian. The rollerball "feed" came from a ten pack, and takes fountain pen cartridges. This pen writes in avocado green! Everything but the corian came from Exotics, as well as more fun stuff for the rest of Christmas break! It feels good to be at the point where you are improving your pen style, instead of trying to get one to work at all. Thanks for looking, and C&C is especially helpful when it's still a work in progress!

Attachments

• kitless1.jpg
    kitless1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 220
  • kitless2.jpg
    kitless2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 216
  • kitless3.jpg
    kitless3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Hi Joe
I have been gradually gathering the myriads of "stuff", and practicing and learning some of the basics to become UNLEASHED (from kits). Noting your progress here is helpful in moving me along. So thanks for showing your efforts and success. It is looking good in the pragmatic sense of gaining the skills. Great job.
Steve

SDB777

That sure is one way to keep people from trying to pull the threads off a pen!(Not that I've seen that happen, but some people are so use to pulling a pen apart, they don't stop to think)

Interesting shape, I'm guessing this will post also? How are you liking that nib/feed from the cartridge set-up?

Scott (was wondering if anyone was doing this) B

Joe S.

Thanks for the replies! My newer pen is my new carry pen, and I'll keep track of the friction fit on that one. I'll keep updating my signature on how it's holding up. From the little I've used it I really like the cartridge system, but I wonder if it will make them harder to sell if I ever get good enough to sell these. This pen is going into my collection!

Robert111

Hmm . . . Seems like you could just glue that section right into the barrel and pull out the nose cone with the cartridge attached when you need to swap cartridges. Long as that nose cone wasn't too tight.

Joe S.

I think that would only work with the longer, thinner "maxi" cartridges. It would need to fit into a 6.5mm hole. Nice idea though!

Top Bottom