My first closed-end pen (but with a small twist)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnspensandmore

I've been wanting to attempt a closed-end pen, but I didn't want to purchase special equipment (I know...cheap)! I also wanted to make one without "plugging" the ends, so here's what I did (forgive me if this is old news to you!).

I simply drilled the lower blank with a bit that is slightly smaller than my 7mm mandrel. This hole was drilled about a quarter inch deeper than the length of the tube. I then drilled with the proper size bit and depth and squared the blank.

I then set the shaft about 1/8 inch longer than the length of the blank and the bushing and simply "screwed" the shaft into the blank until it drew the whole setup tight against the mandrel. I turned the blank between centers until just shy of final shape, removed the tail stock and finished the blank. It held just fine throughout the whole process, and when I was done, I just unscrewed the finished barrel from the shaft. Voila!

The kit is a spare Churchill (not my favorite, but a good one to practice on) and the blank is a poly-resin from Exotic Blanks.

Any opinions and tips are appreciated!

http://www.johnspensandmore.com

Attachments

• closed1111.jpg
    closed1111.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 254
  • closed2222.jpg
    closed2222.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

that's pretty much how I do it too. The churchill kit looks better with a closed end than stock, I think. Same for the flat top and euro screw cap kits.

Nice work, I may have to give that kit another try.

James

wizard

Very Nice!! I think the pen and blank was a great pick. Exotic Blanks makes blanks that look out of this world (literally).

Top Bottom