My first cebloplast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

I ordered this from Exotics thinking it woudl look nice of a Jr Gent. I did not realize how this the rod was. It was 16mm. I had hardly any maeterial left after drilling so room for error was small. I had some luck with it though. It is not perfect but I like the finish.

All the time while I was drilling it I had problems. The bit would get stuck because of heat of the plastice and would spin the round blank in the vise. It took me forever to drill this. After all the cursing I wondered why people use this stuff. Then when I saw how it finished I understood. It has a certain depth to it that makes it look nice.

Thanks for looking...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Sampson

Ron,
I have turned several Jr. Gents and Tritons with this material. I drill on the lathe and, while time consuming, you can do it without damaging the rod.
Here is my method.
1) Drill at the slowest speed
2) Soak a rag in DNA. It is inherently cold and will cool the bit.
3) Drill no more than 1/4 inch, back out drill bit and wrap in the DNA rag
4) After the bit is cool to the touch continue drilling as #3 until completed

I have destroyed this materal before, it melts quickly, and it is too expensive to throw away.
I have not lost a blank since using this method.

It turns and produces a great finish

Bill Sampson, Richmond

brownsfn2

Thanks for the advice on the drilling. I need a new lathe and a dedicated drill chuck. If I put my drill press chuck in the lathe the taper is so long that it takes up at least an inch of the tailstock spindle travel. I need a longer spindle travel to be able to back all the way out. My goal is to drill on the lathe someday. :)

gwilki

Bill's advice is good. I drill on my DP mostly. With the blank being vertical, I can keep cooling liquid in the hole as I go. I use a mix of alcohol, water and dish soap. I've done dozens using the cebloplast material and not had one bind or blow - at least since I used this witch's brew.

drgoretex

+1 on Bill's advice. I had the same troubles initially, and found the same technique (though with rags damp with cold water). Slow speed, avoid heat, works well. What I love about this material is how it feels after polishing. It is even nicer to me that acrylic. I liked the last one I did, I kept it for myself!

Cheers,

Ken

Top Bottom