my first casting attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from whsewardiv

whsewardiv

i bought a few of ptownsubbies silicone molds to try my hand at casting...mainly because i saw a cigar pen made with tobacco. here is my attempt at casting. i used a pressure pot but still got a bunch of bubble that seeped out from behind the labels, i have to glue them better, the bruins one came out nice but i should have painted the tubes

Attachments

• IMG_11422.jpg
    IMG_11422.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_11702.jpg
    IMG_11702.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

They look great! Might I ask your technique for the Bruins pen? I recently bought a casting setup and am interested in making blanks similar to this or at least having the capability to do so!

lhowell

They look great! Might I ask your technique for the Bruins pen? I recently bought a casting setup and am interested in making blanks similar to this or at least having the capability to do so!

thanks...check out DEMAS Woodshop on Youtube i used AVERY shipping labels and a laser printer

https://youtu.be/oaac6O0cnOc

Thanks! I have learned quite a bit from Dema's Shop and NVWoodwerks online videos! I'll check this out! I currently use an Etsy store for custom acrylics like this but he just raised his prices to $24 per blank which makes selling the Sierra type pens for a profit a little difficult. I can't imagine what a Cigar style would go for but I love that look! Great Job!!!!

Kenny Durrant

A tip that I use when gluing things to the tube is that I use an old ziplock bag from a pen kit to clamp it down. If you've ever taken a piece of paper and started rolling it you know that it will start getting tighter and tighter as it shrinks down to a smaller tube. That the same process I use. Get a piece of plastic that is wide enough for the tube and long enough to make several wraps around it. The main thing is make sure you're wrapping it in the same direction as the lable. The other thing to watch for is if you don't wrap it evenly it will cause the label to twist. I will wrap the tube for a few seconds and then take it apart to check for problems. If it looks good I'll wrap it again and let it set. You can spot some problems through the plastic but sometimes it's hard to see. I use scotch tape to hold everything while drying.

Top Bottom