My First Banded Custom Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

My first attempt a couple weeks back of using bands crashed and burned. Chuck (aka Dalecamino), was nice enough to email me and gave some pointers. Thanks again Chuck. The centerband is from aluminum tubing I ordered from Online Metals; I went with the larger OD (.75) and thicker wall thinking that would give me plenty of room to tap the acrylic portion of the blank. I did however have to spend time filing off some thickness to get it to around 11/16. I used a tube cutter to score and cut the narrow slice on the tube; one day I should look at upgrading from my Excelsior lathe to a metal lathe perhaps. The smaller bands at the ends are flat washers I got from Lowes. I made the holding area of the section short but with a longer tenon to allow for shorter cap. In the end I think the cap came out a tad short in relation to the lower body. The pen finished at 5.75" inches long by 11/16" diameter on the centerband, with polished #6 Meisternib.

It took some time to finish and hopefully the next ones will get easier.
Thanks for looking and as always comments/questions are always welcome and appreciated.

DSC_0055s.jpg

DSC_0056s.jpg

DSC_0054s.jpg

Top Bottom