My first attempt at bowl turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Well! I attempted to turn a bowl. After I started turning, I began considering proportions, height Vs. girth, grain pattern, etc. and I decided to make a Urn for "My Buddy BUSTER" instead. The wood is from a dead, front yard Maple, I had taken down a few years back. I wish I had kept more of it. BUT, it's companion has also died a couple summers ago (not yet taken down) and I plan to keep a lot of it. I'm not sure what species of Maple it is but some of it is highly figured and moderately spalted. I probably still have a couple coats of oil to apply and have it lazer engraved. The Type in the pic is Photo Shop. C and C welcome, but I think Buster would be proud!:angel::cat:

Attachments

• Buster January 17 2007.jpg
    Buster January 17 2007.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_9616 copy copy.jpg
    DSC_9616 copy copy.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_9618 copy.jpg
    DSC_9618 copy.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_9619 copy.jpg
    DSC_9619 copy.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Really nice looking urn... and from the looks of the wood and comparing it to some of my wood, I would guess the tree to be a silver maple... especially if it had roots running on or near the top of the ground...

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
species

Chuck: Sounds like you hit it on species. Some roots even run a little above surface? Hell on lawnmower blades! :(:mad:

Really nice looking urn... and from the looks of the wood and comparing it to some of my wood, I would guess the tree to be a silver maple... especially if it had roots running on or near the top of the ground...

paintspill

beautiful piece. and if you say thats a first then my hats off to you. if it wouldn't be too much trouble and of course if it is not "in use" could you post a picture with the lid off.

ttpenman

If that's your first piece like this you did GREAT!!. I've only tried a very few simple bowls, more like dishes. Did OK but no where near as nice as yours. Keep it up.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice display of your turning skills Joe. A beautiful piece of timber. I never thought Silver Maple would have such figure and color in it. The spalting really gives it a nice touch. Nice work.

Fishinbo

Beautiful urn, like the shape and the wood is gorgeous with those pretty grain patterns and colors. You created a great home for Buster. Great job!

Top Bottom