my first atempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from michael j flett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I just use a folded up white t-shirt draped over whatever's on my desk for a clean background and good angles to shoot from. My computer doesn't give me the best images in the world from the internet, so it may just be me, but I can't find much wrong with that pen.

yes i agree i would like to use more exotic wood but not easy to get hold of it as i live on a small island in the far north of scotland and postal costs tend to make blanks expensive to aquire.

Drstrangefart

yes i agree i would like to use more exotic wood but not easy to get hold of it as i live on a small island in the far north of scotland and postal costs tend to make blanks expensive to aquire.

I'm just cash-strapped. I'm fortunate to have a ton of great places within driving distance, but there's no money for it right now. I do have access to a lot of free found wood at work and some of it's been extremely nice.

i know how it is i could spend a fortune on blanks but i dont think MRS would be very happy but she is quite happy when i sell a pen and the cash comes in but i never seem to see the cash again.

Drstrangefart

i know how it is i could spend a fortune on blanks but i dont think MRS would be very happy but she is quite happy when i sell a pen and the cash comes in but i never seem to see the cash again.

THANK YOU! Same problem here. I want to get a couple of larger sales done so I can get money put back on a prepaid credit card and order online. Right now without the sales it's turning for the sake of turning. We're trying to at least get enough pens to do a good display at the local artist's show in October out here.

yes same here i have an order for 2 quite elaborate house signs and 3 brides cogs but cant get paid until the job is done at least i have no materials to buy so these jobs are 100% profit.

Drstrangefart

yes same here i have an order for 2 quite elaborate house signs and 3 brides cogs but cant get paid until the job is done at least i have no materials to buy so these jobs are 100% profit.

Brilliant! I had 3 orders for pens, but they were never paid for so I have 8 unsold pens still parked in the portfolio. I coulda used the nearly $300 it would have brought in, though....

i never seem to get ahead with pens i just get a few made and almost sell them straight away i never seem to build up a stock but i suppose thats what its all about.
i must be selling them too cheap.

Drstrangefart

i never seem to get ahead with pens i just get a few made and almost sell them straight away i never seem to build up a stock but i suppose thats what its all about.
i must be selling them too cheap.

I'm just in an area where no one really wants to buy them outright. I'd settle for interesting trades if those showed up. Can't sell more than one cheap slimline every couple or 3 weeks.

yes i know how it is im probably very slow to make a pen so that means you have a lot of time invested in doing one but dont mind as when im in the workshop my mind is on nothing else and all my problems stay outside and i can relax and do what i enjoy.

Drstrangefart

yes i know how it is im probably very slow to make a pen so that means you have a lot of time invested in doing one but dont mind as when im in the workshop my mind is on nothing else and all my problems stay outside and i can relax and do what i enjoy.

Absolutely. I don't end up with huge time investments anymore as I'm getting my method ironed out. I just like making shavings and sawdust. Selling is secondary. If I put too much pressure on sales right now I might as well walk away from it. It does a lot of good having something fairly artistic I'm halfway decent at finally.

i agree i didnt know that pen turning existed until i heard about it earlier this year and to be turning pens that sell now is fantastic but as you say when i comes to a stage when i have to sell it would be best to stop and try something else but right now i have almost paid for the equipment in my workshop so quit happy at the moment

Top Bottom