My first and second pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sdkidaho

sdkidaho

The first one is from quilted maple. It was from some scrape that Dad had. It was pretty thin so I had to glue two pieces together to make it work. As a result it has an ugly seam (not seen in picture) but the wood has some nice grain to it.
8E43E4D7-82E3-45AA-8569-737B22272EF4_zpskfecwkfb.jpg

The second was just a piece of walnut.
36ACF19D-2B30-4804-8BEB-8114C0BCFCEC_zpsy2tv69by.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Great job on your first pens! Keep going (as if you had a choice - you have jumped from sanity into the vortex) !
Vortex:noun,
1.a whirling mass of water, especially one in which a force of suction operates, as a whirlpool.
2. a whirling mass of air, especially one in the form of a visible column or spiral, as a tornado.
3. a whirling mass of fire, flame, etc.
4.a state of affairs likened to a whirlpool for violent activity, irresistible force, etc.
5.something regarded as drawing into its powerful current everything that surrounds it:

Last edited:

terry q

Nice job and it's to late, your hooked. Might I suggest a spacer of a different color between small pieces. I had some beautiful curly Maple that was to nice to burn.

Attachments

• IMG_20141107_135420.jpg
    IMG_20141107_135420.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 101

sdkidaho

Welcome to the obsession. What did you use for finish? Is the wood dyed somehow or is it just the photos?

I finished both with a CA glue. I sand to about 1200, then wipe clean with denatured alcohol, then I wipe them down with boiled linseed oil. After that I put on 3 coats of CA glue, letting each coat dry for a few minutes, then I sand from 2500 to 12000. So, other than the linseed oil - no coloring done.

The photos aren't too great as they are just from my iphone.

Those look good, I especially like the walnut one, the accent lines are a nice touch. Keep it up!

Regards,
Michael

I'm actually surprised to hear that. I thought the walnut was pretty plane looking. The accent lines do help it a little.

Thanks all for the kind remarks. I've enjoyed making these and turning a few other things as well. Great hobby I have to admit.

mecompco

Welcome to the obsession. What did you use for finish? Is the wood dyed somehow or is it just the photos?

I finished both with a CA glue. I sand to about 1200, then wipe clean with denatured alcohol, then I wipe them down with boiled linseed oil. After that I put on 3 coats of CA glue, letting each coat dry for a few minutes, then I sand from 2500 to 12000. So, other than the linseed oil - no coloring done.

The photos aren't too great as they are just from my iphone.

Those look good, I especially like the walnut one, the accent lines are a nice touch. Keep it up!

Regards,
Michael

I'm actually surprised to hear that. I thought the walnut was pretty plane looking. The accent lines do help it a little.

Thanks all for the kind remarks. I've enjoyed making these and turning a few other things as well. Great hobby I have to admit.

Haha, at least you didn't do the ghastly (IMHO) "wasp-waist" thing--I just think it looks horrible. I did a few Slimlines but quickly found that doing bigger pens is quicker and more fun (too bad to take a 3/4" blank down to a mm or so around the tube). I bought enough "Comfort" sized bands to use up my Slimline kits and make bigger pens.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom