My First Aluminum Slim!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

Finally I was able to get a decent 7mm hole down a tube of aluminum rod. It wasn't hard to turn, but polishing was a different story. I'm sure it would go more smoothly (pun intended:rolleyes:) if I had some actual metal polish, because I think it would work better than honing coumpond:redface:. Overall it looks nice, feels nice, and writes nice with a Schmidt refill. So this is a nice pen :)
Thanks for looking and C&C is always helpful

Attachments

• alluminium pen.jpg
    alluminium pen.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 387
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great looking pen. Definitly getting me more excited to do this. I have started getting things together.HD has the 2 grades of metal polish. Not very exspensive either. Aren't we having fun in this adiction?

Joe S.

That's the picture... Sometime I'm going to get/make a photography setup, but for now it's a few lamps and a board of ash. The black ring by the tip is also a trick of the light, it's really a bevel that goes into the tip.

Janster

That's the picture... Sometime I'm going to get/make a photography setup, but for now it's a few lamps and a board of ash. The black ring by the tip is also a trick of the light, it's really a bevel that goes into the tip.

Is there a separate nib section or is the lower barrel and nib one piece? Nice job!

orbit308

awesome job! I think there's a lot of mystery involved in trying something totally different like metal..I still haven't taken that leap. Maybe tomorrow!

Joe S.

Is there a separate nib section or is the lower barrel and nib one piece? Nice job!

It's just like a regular slimline, just with AL instead of wood. The secret to drilling it is use a lubricant (I used mineral oil). And turning isn't hard either, just slower. I'm still working on finishing, but I'm starting to think there might be somthing to using honing compound... Anyway, next time I might try a single piece tip, I like that idea.

Janster

It's just like a regular slimline, just with AL instead of wood. The secret to drilling it is use a lubricant (I used mineral oil). And turning isn't hard either, just slower. I'm still working on finishing, but I'm starting to think there might be somthing to using honing compound... Anyway, next time I might try a single piece tip, I like that idea.
Another question. Where does one purchace a Schmidt transmission, or do the Schmidt refills work in a standard Slimline tranny? TIA.........Jan

Joe S.

The refill came from exotics, it put them in all the pens I make. It will still fit the tranny, and you can get some really nice Parker sizes too. I like to have my pens write like they are expensive, and be handmade to boot! I think Schmidt sells other quality pen parts, it was mentioned in a Woodturning Design pen article reacently.

Joe S.

Yes it's a stylus, I forgot to say that! :redface: it works perfectly every time, even if I'm not touching the clip, tip, or centerband! :biggrin::tongue:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The refill came from exotics, it put them in all the pens I make. It will still fit the tranny, and you can get some really nice Parker sizes too. I like to have my pens write like they are expensive, and be handmade to boot! I think Schmidt sells other quality pen parts, it was mentioned in a Woodturning Design pen article reacently.

Thank you, Joe for all the nice compliments!!!

Because of two calls I have received this morning, I need to correct the information a little: Schmidt does not make a "Cross-style" refill. Yes, ExoticBlanks handles MANY Schmidt products and is very proud of the quality of their goods.

We also have taken on products that are NOT Schmidt made: the "Cross-style" refills are one such product. They are better than the "kit refill", but we continue to look for a "superior" product, similar in excellence to the 9000 refill we purchase from Schmidt.

Sorry, your pen is gorgeous and I would normally NOT contradict (or correct the facts presented by) a customer. In this case, it is causing confusion.

Ed

Because of two calls I have received this morning, I need to correct the information a little: Schmidt does not make a "Cross-style" refill. Yes, ExoticBlanks handles MANY Schmidt products and is very proud of the quality of their goods.

We also have taken on products that are NOT Schmidt made: the "Cross-style" refills are one such product. They are better than the "kit refill", but we continue to look for a "superior" product, similar in excellence to the 9000 refill we purchase from Schmidt.

Sorry, your pen is gorgeous and I would normally NOT contradict (or correct the facts presented by) a customer. In this case, it is causing confusion.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I thought I had read it was Private Reserve. But to small for print.

Joe S.

Ed

Oh man... I'm sorry! I said Schmidt without thinking about it. My last name is actually Schmidt and I make mostly Parker style pen, so I'm very used to saying "and it has a high quality Schmidt brand refill!" I should have looked more closely. :frown:

Top Bottom