My "Best of" Casting Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzzzz4

Buzzzz4

I attempted an entry again for this year's Best of IAP Contest in the casting category.

It is a Cherry Pit in red resin cast with a suspended cherry pit in clear on the end. It took lots of slow delicate turning and filling to create this. The metal parts are a mix of Jr. size pens I found. The other new thing for me was creating a hidden clip.

I hope it does well, and it was fun to do something quite different. The best part was learning some new techniques.

Thanks for looking!!!

Attachments

• P9140316.jpg
    P9140316.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 772
  • P9140310.jpg
    P9140310.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 478
  • P9140315.jpg
    P9140315.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 621
  • P9140307.jpg
    P9140307.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 430
  • P9140308.jpg
    P9140308.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 439

wiset1

I've seen these blanks, but you really bring it to life! The small detail like the clear cast on the lower barrel just add to the overall presentation. Truly awesome!!!

Very well done!

Eric,

Your cherry pit pen is outstanding!

Are you willing to elaborate on the turning process. I'm sure there is much more to turning this than super sharp and light cuts.

That ought to win you a prize, very impressive.

Charlie

plantman

:eek::eek: Eric; Fantastic example of recycleing !! For those of you who want to see the work that goes into turning one of these blanks, Ed Brown from Exoticblanks.com, has a video showing the turning of Eric's Cherry Pit blank on his site. All I can say is it's time consuming, but the end result is worth the effert !! Seem like the story of life. If you want to get the most out of it, you need to put the effert into it !! Great looking pen !! Jim S

Buzzzz4

Wow! Thank you all. It really did take light cuts and stopping frequently to see what the pits were doing. When turning these, you can get the center of the pit to let lose and then there is a void to fill. I often stopped to seal it with CA, made a couple passes then stopped again. When there was a larger void inside a seed, I filled it with colored epoxy. With these, I use the Alumilite red dye to color the epoxy. Overall, it took about a week to create this pen with one failure in the middle when I had to recreate the cap due to the buffer catching it and flinging it against the wall.

I hope that gives a bit more insight into working with these blanks. Thanks again!

SDB777

That's a LOT of cherry eating right here:eek:

Well thought out and turned...the pit in the end is a really cool touch. Was it all one blank?

Scott (pretty awesome) B

MartinPens

Eric - A very festive pen and well deserved recognition! And to think I've been throwing my cherry pits away all of these years! I love how it's bursting with colors. The proportions look great and the hidden clip looks flawless. You stuck with it and now you have a fantastic little work of art to hang on to. Congrats!

Top Bottom