My Bash Submission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ChrisN

ChrisN

I entered this pen into the Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest, but unfortunately, I didn't win:mad:. Congrats to the winners, though! Those pens are awesome!:good: And thanks to all who made this Bash possible. Also, a special thanks to the 28 people who voted for my pen.:highfive:

I wanted to enter the pen in the Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest, where I thought it would have a better chance, but, alas, the rules said "Do not go overboard on any alterations to the kit, this is not the modified contest.", and I figured my modifications were a bit overboard for that contest. So, without further ado, my description and my pen:

This is my most complicated pen so far. It is uses Jr. Gent 2 parts, but with several modifications. The barrel finial has been modified to rotate an internal converter. This allows you to fill up the pen without taking it apart. Just dip the pen in ink, and twist the finial. The blank was made by Neil Pabia (wolftat). The barrel features windows on opposite sides made of clear plexiglass. The cap finial has been replaced with the same material as the barrel, and the barrel finial has been drilled out to accept a plug also made of the barrel material. The nib has been replaced with a Bock extra-fine nib.
0086-resize.jpg

0086b-resize.jpg

Once again, thanks to everyone who made this Bash possible. Next time I'm winning...:wink::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Thats a good looking pen Chris. I like how you can twist the finial and fill the pen and the clear windows on the side, very creative.

Harry

SDB777

Nice acrylic....do you happen to have any photo's of the pen prior to fitting the pieces? Be interesting to see the inner workings of the finial fit....

Scott (don't feed the dog boiled eggs) B

ChrisN

Nice acrylic....do you happen to have any photo's of the pen prior to fitting the pieces? Be interesting to see the inner workings of the finial fit....

Scott (don't feed the dog boiled eggs) B

I don't have any disassembled pics, but here's a diagram:
photo.JPG
The red is the finial, blue is barrel, bluegreen is converter. The green part is an insert I turned that serves several purposes:

• Holds the finial on (very important:tongue:)
  • Has a hole drilled in it that the converter slips up inside. (also very important)
I drilled the barrel the whole way through with a smaller diameter bit, and then I drilled the barrel coming in from either end, using a drill bit that was large enough that the finial and insert could rotate freely in it. I didn't drill the whole way through with the larger bits - I left a small lip that caught the lip on the insert. For assembly, I placed the insert in the tip end of the barrel, and epoxied it into the finial. If everything works out, the finial is held on, and the installed converter slides into the hole in the insert and then turning the finial turns the converter. HTH!:)

Top Bottom