My 9 Year old did it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hayseedboy

Hayseedboy

All,

My 9 year old has a social studies project where they have to make something "old" and then write a story about how the item was used. We thought about an old map or a simple bow made from Osage. But instead he wanted to turn something on the lathe.

If you watch closely you can see that he is still learning to use dad's Easy Rougher and Easy Finisher from Easywoodtools.com. He did most of the work except for the initial roughing, a few minor finishing cuts and parting.

It is Ash with a little BLO on it. In a couple of days we are planning to cover it in mud, barely clean it off and beat a nail or three to really make it look old and used. It is going to be a mallet that was used during the early days of Greene County, MO to build barns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Cu_QBlfh4

If you watch the video be sure to give him a comment as he is proud as punch over his turning. He's turned a couple of pens as well. I love the time with him around the lathe!

LR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very cool. You must be very proud.

My youngest son started making pens when he was nine. He brought one to school and nobody believed he made it, until he brought pictures. Now he is hooked and I really enjoy the garage time with both of my sons. My daughter has no interest, but really likes the acryllic pens she has.

djpnevans

You better watch out he may just kick you of your lathe and keep it. It is good to spend time with the kids doing some thing that you both enjoy.
David

Daniel

Very nice, by the way, wood carvers still use those. It would be neat if someone saw it and made him an offer on it. That would be a real top notch complement.

glycerine

Awesome! I've got 2 daughters. Hoping for a son one day. But my oldest daughter likes cars, so who knows, I may have her woodworking soon enough...
Looks like he did a great job on that mallet!!

artme

Most impressive!!!:highfive::highfive::highfive:

Like the attention to safety and it is obvious that the young fella is very attentive to what he is doing. Bodes well for the future.:):):)

Last edited:

nava1uni

Awesome! I've got 2 daughters. Hoping for a son one day. But my oldest daughter likes cars, so who knows, I may have her woodworking soon enough...
Looks like he did a great job on that mallet!!
Girls like wood working just as much as boys. Teach your girls how to do everything it will only serve them well. I know from experience. My grandfather taught me how to fix everything and I have been an auto mechanic, Canon copy repair person, Biomedical Engineer and i still fix everything for all of my friends and I also turn wood.
Giving kids skills early helps them do things other then watch TV and be on computers, which can also be fun, just not all the time.

Top Bottom