My 6 year old in the shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

First off I know "Pics or it didn't happen".

My youngest daughter, Marley, has been itching to get in the shop with me. Well last night she went and we had a blast. Her sister had picked out a pen (my 10 year old), and she made it. Well Marley now wants a new one, she has a couple "oops" pens. She picked out the blank, helped me drill, paint and all that good stuff.

We prepped a few things to be turned, and I turned 1 thing for an order. She was out there with me 3 hours, and didn't get "bored". When I was turning, or getting things "prepped" she was helping, she took and vacuumed for a while.

A bunch of questions and the face light up when she understood what I was saying.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Aren't kids GREAT !!!! . My granddaughter helped me and loved it. ... so did I !!!

stonepecker

Get that girl a step stool and help her turn a pen.
Take some pictures and get her entered into the contest.

She can't win unless you enter her pen.

I am very happy to read the above story. It is a great way for kids to begin this hobby. And yes, if she continues, you two will always have something to share. You will never have to think about what to get her. And she can always surprize you with something off the lathe.
Good work Dad................and it never really is work.

Hawkdave

Well done Ed. It sounds like you kids are really enjoying working with you.

I have no children myself, so when it comes to working with kids, I hold driveway workshops for the kids in the street. This is done during the summer school holidays. The last workshops were held on Wednesday mornings and we made lots of wooden games that they could take home with them. Then we started to make some wooden games that could be played in the street and, when they were finished we had a street party to show the parents and others what they had been making.
I know the kids had an absolute ball because they kept coming back each Wednesday for the next workshop and putting ideas forward for the next summer holidays.
Most of the work was done in the shed before the day and they assembled, painted and did any final work in the front driveway. Their ages ranged from 4 to 13. The older kids looked after the younger ones and did a great job. The parents didn't believe me when I told them how it worked.

Dave.

Top Bottom