My 2nd and 3rd pens.... Starting to get addicted!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from musky

musky

Last night I made my first pen, tonight I made 2 more. Still having problems with the CA/BLO finish, but having fun anyways. I think I am going to get me some MM, and some kind of polish to see if I can get some shine on the next few I try.

2nd- Slim line- Wormy Soft Maple
3rd- PSI Designer Twist- Spalted Hard Maple

Thanks to everyone on here. I read and read for weeks, and got tons of help with every question I have posted. Great site!

Attachments

• bass006-1.jpg
    bass006-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 190
  • bass002-1.jpg
    bass002-1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMB

I don't know if you know, or care, but the centerband on the second pen appears to be on backwards. CA seems to work better for me without the BLO. More sanding, but far fewer problems with clouding. Keep it up!

Rodzilla67

I agree with RMB. The centerband does appear backwards. As for the finish I use just thin CA. I apply it with a paper towel. You have to have accelerant as well. I usually apply 4 to 6 layers of Thin CA. I then start at 400 grit, and work up to 12000 grit. I then use Mothers 3 stage car wax system ( i know its weird, but it works nice, and you get the bang for your buck) to finish of the pen. Works slick for me. Be sure to drop speed of lathe WAY DOWN before applying CA. I learned all this the hard way, and had very hard time with CA finishes before hand. I apply CA to almost every wood pen I make now.

CA is your friend!

I think you are doing great for your first few pens. Keep it up, and don't be afraid to make mistakes, or try something crazy!

THarvey

I don't know if you know, or care, but the centerband on the second pen appears to be on backwards. CA seems to work better for me without the BLO. More sanding, but far fewer problems with clouding. Keep it up!

Looks to me like the centerband is on the lower piece. Is it?

The CB looks farther away from the clip, than the disigner I have on my desk.

If you put it on the bottom, interesting mod. And, in that case the centerband would be correct the way you have it.

Nice pens. Welcome to the addiction!!!!!

Top Bottom