Music Pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

PSI now has a music pen. A G-clef, drum, guitar neck & headstock, piano keys. Once again they leave out the bass player. We get no respect. Maybe it's too 'low end' to have a bass on there. (pun). I thought of 'picking' one up but don't want to be 'strung' out on it.
Besides being another gimmick pen it looks very uncomfortable to write with. That aside no doubt musicians may be interested.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

My wife wants a music-themed pen for a Christmas gift for her friend (a music teacher). She fell in love with this rather gimmicky-looking pen (sigh!). I'm working on getting her to agree to a nice Sierra with a music-themed blank. Don't know if I'll win this one.

People must buy PSI's gimmick pens, they continue to list them. It's a mystery to me.

Mortalis

My sister is musically inclined and repairs wood wind instruments. I made her a Musical Atrax from an inlay that she loves.
Woodturningz musical note can be made into any one of three pen blanks; Sierra, Mesa and the magnetic Vertex.

Here is a Banjo inlay

Attachments

• Musical Atrax 1.jpg
    Musical Atrax 1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Musical Atrax 2.jpg
    Musical Atrax 2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

chartle

My wife wants a music-themed pen for a Christmas gift for her friend (a music teacher). She fell in love with this rather gimmicky-looking pen (sigh!). I'm working on getting her to agree to a nice Sierra with a music-themed blank. Don't know if I'll win this one.

People must buy PSI's gimmick pens, they continue to list them. It's a mystery to me.

I did the piano blank with a sierra style pencil for my wife's music teacher when she got her PhD. (Music teachers use pencils to mark up music not pens since they may have to make changes and they sometimes only borrow the music)

Word of warning the blank for a sierra style pencil from Exotic blacks is shorter than the pen, had to remove a few keys. But it worked.

Last edited:

magpens

PSI's Newest "Try It Once And Forget It" Pen Kit

PSI now has a music pen. I thought of 'picking' one up but don't want to be 'strung' out on it. Besides being another gimmick pen it looks very uncomfortable to write with.

Just a comment related to the "gimmick" pens :

... these new introductions to their product line are both poorly designed and of poor quality ... but, they seem to be able to sell these kits to some people and that's a mystery to me too. There must be a huge number of pen-turners who will buy any new introduction just to try it. Obviously they are masters at getting these new kits to the market incredibly cheaply.

They are like the Edsel of pen kit sellers. Makes you wonder just how long ....

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Imperial with music note

A few years ago I made this pen with a music note. I had Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods do the engraving.

DSC_0001-001.JPG

dthayer

Well, I must be one of the unwashed masses. :rolleyes: While I probably wouldn't get one for myself (mainly because I can barely play a radio!) I must admit to purchasing one for my son's band teacher and my son and I both think she'll love it.

(As an aside, she has recently been named as among 25 in the nation that are semifinalists for the 2016 Music Educator Award by The Recording Academy and Grammy Foundation...)

Some of these pens may be 'gimmicky' but I think it is a good thing to have variety.

jttheclockman

A few years ago I made this pen with a music note. I had Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods do the engraving.

Roy I love the simplicity in the pen but most of all I love the combination of white and black in a pen. Those colors together or used with silver and brass inlays makes for such a rich classy looking pen. Not sure why more people do not do them. Every big name pen company sells this line of pens.

John I like that case. Can you tell us where you got it. ??? Thanks

magpens

Some of these pens may be 'gimmicky' but I think it is a good thing to have variety.

Dirk,

I am all for variety, and I don't even mind 'gimmicky' provided there is quality.

Most of the pen kits from PSI that people call gimmicky have been introduced in the last 3 yrs or so. And most of them have some cast metal parts. The castings lack finesse: you can see the edges left by the casting mold in many cases; the cast parts are often not round where they should be round; if you look at the ends of the "cylindrical" cast parts you will notice 'blobs' on the ends which prevent the parts from fitting together closely without irregular air-gaps, and there are often other 'blobs' that stick out at random places and have been plated over; and, you can often see deep scratches, or scores, in the metal underneath the plating. These widespread imperfections detract seriously from the appeal of these pen kits, and I don't think that calling some 'antique brass' or 'antique pewter' improves their appeal; besides, the non-antique chrome and 24kt versions have the same imperfections.

I don't want this post to be taken as "bashing"; PSI's customer service is commendable; some of their products are excellent, like the 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit. But based on the comments and "jeers" recorded here there are obviously some issues in dealing with PSI and their products that are not the same as for other vendors and their products.

I'll stick my neck out and say again, quality is one of those issues.

pianomanpj

I'm a piano player and I am totally NOT drawn to this pen at all. It's like sheet music and a pen had an unfortunate encounter in a teleportation device a la "The Fly". Blech.

dthayer

Mal,

I have no argument there! Variety at the expense of quality is not a good thing. I have seen some kits in the PSI catalog (and from other "mass market" vendors) where I have noticed some of the defects you mentioned and that would keep me from purchasing that kit.

I just pulled out the music pen kit that I have to see how it looks and it actually is quite nice.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
PSI now has a music pen. A G-clef, drum, guitar neck & headstock, piano keys. Once again they leave out the bass player. We get no respect. Maybe it's too 'low end' to have a bass on there. (pun). I thought of 'picking' one up but don't want to be 'strung' out on it.
Besides being another gimmick pen it looks very uncomfortable to write with. That aside no doubt musicians may be interested.
AND, most IMPORTANTLY of all, the Trumpet Player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom