Multiple tool gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Oh, it been a great week for me! Tons of new toys.

Dewault planer ( the dw735) Just ran a test board and it does an amazing job. It came with a bonus the new mini router.

Combine that with a spindle sander and some other little stuff... And I'm gonna be distracted with some flatwork for a while. :)

But the lathe is still close by!

(and a pic for the "no pics didnt happen crew).

All I know is the girls want me to get a shop in a diffent block now - the planer is LOUD! :)

Attachments

• image-360926265.png
    image-360926265.png
    907.4 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
That looks great lee... Its currently on a mobile stand from sears that claims #300 capacity, but eventually its going to get its own stand of some kind.

I have it going into a garbage can with DC separator lid, then onto the DC from there... I'm amazed by how little clean it stayed.. I've seen some planers that throw dust/chips everywhere!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Check close

Oh, it been a great week for me! Tons of new toys.

Dewault planer ( the dw735) Just ran a test board and it does an amazing job. It came with a bonus the new mini router.

Combine that with a spindle sander and some other little stuff... And I'm gonna be distracted with some flatwork for a while. :)

But the lathe is still close by!

(and a pic for the "no pics didnt happen crew).

All I know is the girls want me to get a shop in a diffent block now - the planer is LOUD! :)
Make sure you check all the boards you run through it for nail heads and or nails. As I found they can be well hidden in old lumber and they can do a job on the blades.

LeeR

I've had the DW735 for ~ 4 years. It is an unbelievable tool. If you have a bandsaw, then you can resaw a piece of standard 3/4" wood into 2 pieces, then run them thru the planer to make great thin stock to glue up into laminated blanks.

Before getting into turning, I was making cutting boards / serving platters with lots of different exotics. After they are all glued up, I run them thru the planer to give a nice even top surface.

A benefit of making platters is that you end up with lots of leftovers that can be used for pens (and vice-versa, I guess ...) :)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thanks for the tips guys... I can't wait to try some projects with it. I am stunned by the quality of the surface that comes out of it so far. Smooth as butter.

And if I get my hands on some old boards, definately gonna be careful of nails!! Those blades aren't cheap and I want to keep them cutting like now.

If theres any other tips, I'd love to hear them! This is new to me...

jskeen

so does prefinished flooring. I don't know what is in the finish on that stuff, but it's harder than old folks toenails. You can plane the grooves off the bottom fine, just don't run the top through.

ctubbs

Be sure to get some good stands to support the ends of the lumber going in and out. This will help keep snipe to a minimum. Do not stand directly behind the board you are sending in. Anything that gets kicked off the board comes out real fast. DAMHIKT
Charles

alphageek

Former Moderator
I hate you!!:mad:

:biggrin: Nice gloat!!

Actually... with the bonus "small router"... I was thinking of YOU skippy! I hope to someday be able to combine a setup on my lathe with that router to do come cool stuff... at some point, I think I'm going to have to pick up an x-y table too :)

PennedDown

Dean,

Good decision on the DeWalt. I've been looking at getting that one also, but my Delta 12 1/2" keeps on going, even after 2 switch replacements and an estimate of 2000+ board feet through it over the last 7-8 years. My suggestion for you if you're going to be buying rough cut dried lumber is to get it close to your final thickness, alternating sides, and then the last that you take off should be no more than 1/32 to 1/64" to make it smooth as glass, no matter how long the blades have been in it. Just a hint from experience in the past.
Have fun with it!

Top Bottom