Multi-spur center in a collet chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I'm definitely curious about this. Is that flat band ahead of the taper truly flat? Did you Mic it? Just wondering if it will really register repeatably. Any clue what kind of runout you are getting with it?
Thanks
James

fernhills

I found this in the Woodcraft catalog for $20. While it is a #2 morse taper, there is a flat part before the taper starts that measures just under 3/4". Tried it out tonight in my collet chuck and it worked great for rounding pen blanks without having to remove the collet. :)

If anyone else is interested you can see it here..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pr...24538&ss=3ab6bb2d-6ce2-46dd-8459-231c0b4076e7

You are limited to rounding to 3/4 with out wasting wood. I use #2 taper drive centers to round, 1/2" or 3/8" 1" for larger stuff.. Carl

Texatdurango

I found this in the Woodcraft catalog for $20. While it is a #2 morse taper, there is a flat part before the taper starts that measures just under 3/4". Tried it out tonight in my collet chuck and it worked great for rounding pen blanks without having to remove the collet. :)

If anyone else is interested you can see it here..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pr...24538&ss=3ab6bb2d-6ce2-46dd-8459-231c0b4076e7

YEP, got one just like it and have used it a lot. If it were only 1/2" diameter, I would use it a LOT more!

I'm still looking for that 1/2" or smaller head though, I'll hollar if I ever run across one.

You're like me, before you know it that collet chuck will be growing roots on your spindle and won't ever want to come off!:)

Texatdurango

I'm definitely curious about this. Is that flat band ahead of the taper truly flat? Did you Mic it? Just wondering if it will really register repeatably. Any clue what kind of runout you are getting with it?
Thanks
James

I can't speak for Lenny but I found the flat portion to be pretty true when chucked up and for me runout is not a concern since I'm just turning a square blank round.

talbot

YEP, got one just like it and have used it a lot. If it were only 1/2" diameter, I would use it a LOT more!

I'm still looking for that 1/2" or smaller head though, I'll hollar if I ever run across one.

You're like me, before you know it that collet chuck will be growing roots on your spindle and won't ever want to come off!:)

Robert Sorby do a full range of sizes and there are short chuck, full headstock and tailstock versions.
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/stebcentres.htm
Quite expensive but really useful accessories. I use one regularly when practisinig with the skew, set it right and dig-ins are harmless, gives you a lot more confidence when using the skew during a job.
talbot

Lenny

Thanks
James

I did mic it and it was consistant ... although I don't remember exactly what it was now. As George stated, runout isn't a problem the way I'm using it.

Still waiting on some extra collets I ordered from ebay June 7th. :rolleyes::frown:
Did pick up a mandrel rod so now I can leave the collet chuck on the lathe 90% of the time. :)

Top Bottom