Mr. Anonymous Game #23 @ 18/04/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Ha ha

It is probably some band saw fluid that reduces frictional heat and improves cutting performance since you are cutting some hard stuff from time to time. Could be something purchased or your own home brew of dish washing liquid, oil, and water.

Last edited:

Sprung

My first thought was acetone, after reading about a certain incident.

But I'm guessing it's something different, since your post makes it sound like you sprayed it on. I'm guessing some sort of cleaner - like windex or simple green - that you keep nearby to help keep your blades clean on the saw. Gunked up blades don't cut very well!

robutacion

Hahahahah, close but, no one got it yet...!

There are lots of things that I keep close to my bandsaw, one of the main ones is a DW40 spray bottle that I refill from the 1 gallon containers I buy of it, the spray bottle is set on "jet" and yes, that I use all the time to lubricated the guides/bearings but, that would affect the wood if used and I didn't wanted to spoil it.

Is more related to Australian Summer months...!:eek:

Cheers
George

wyone

Trying to think what OTHER product George would have in a container like the container he uses for WD40.. and something that will not have an ill effect on the wood.. hmmmm it might be something as simple as Ice Tea however.. hmmmm

robutacion

Spray tan

Hahah, very funny mister, I'm olive complexion, no need to sun tan, while on the bandsaw...!:eek::biggrin:

I reckon, most Aussies would know the answer however, what I use is not limited to Australia, is indeed an universal product that has many uses/functions, and I love it, works wonders...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

OK, first of all, no one seems to have noticed that, I have already downloaded the 3 video clips on the post #36...!:eek:

Secondly, I have decided to go downstairs to the work shop and take 1 picture where you see the bandsaw working area and all these containers I have been talking about that, I keep close to that machine, I marked and identified each one (well, sort off...!)

002.JPG

Remember that, after everyone saw the video clips, there are the 7 pictures I took before and after the video, they contain some slices I cut from the 2 pieces I decided to process for this time, still 6 pieces left, some small some bigger.

In those pics, the 2 slices that I wet sprayed with the (unidentified yet product) where you can see the grain of this wood, 12 pen blanks from those slices are what the 2 + the 1 still unfounded winners, will receive.
If you prefer something else, let me know...!:eek: You would be crazy to do that

Some invisible ink message, would be deserving...!:wink::biggrin:

You really need to have a look at those 2 + 1 pictures (one is from one of the wet slices that, I took to a slight darker area to avoid too much glare on the red wood...!:)

Interested...???

Yeah, call me a little Devil...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

I get a message the videos are private

Yeah, I'm not that used to downloading videos on YouTube and appart from taking hours to download about 10 minutes of vide between the 3 clips, I'm having some troubles in getting them to show up as they should.

I have made a few changes so, could you guys try them out and let me know if they work...?
Thanks

Cheers
George

robutacion

Well, I have video 2 downloading again so, I will try again in a few hours...!

In the mean time, here are the 7 pics that I have been talking about, enjoy...!:)

chunk 1.JPGChunk 3.JPGChunk 5.JPGSlice 9.JPGSlice 10.JPGSlice 11.JPGSlice 14.JPGSlice 15.JPGSlice 22.JPGSlice 23.JPGSlice 27.JPG

Oops, did I say 7 pics...? I was wrong, they are 11..!:)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Bingo...!

White vinegar

Bingo...!

White vinegar is indeed the answer...!

What's the connection to Australian Summers and some other times..???

Mosquitoes, those damn devils that love me to death...!

Insect repellent spray is expensive and doesn't last long, I get pretty much the same results with the white vinegar that cost me about $1 per litre...!:wink::biggrin:

Poor wyone he worked so hard and getting some of these blanks that, I will award him also with a 12 blanks set, congrats to both of you...!

This game has no DL (30 days Disable List) to any of the winners, in honour to our "Anzac" Aussies soldiers, commemorated on the 25 of this Month...!:)

Well, this ends a long marathon to put this game #23 together, thank you everyone for your contribution...!

As promised, I have said that at the end of this game I would reveal the moral of this story so, here it goes...!

To many of your, is nothing knew of my passion for what I do and the excitement I feel when I make a new find. Most are seen as "treasures" and give me great pleasure and satisfaction to process and work with so, nothing knew here, right...???

Sure, is nothing knew and some of you may have experience some or many of these finds that not always turn out to be treasures but nevertheless still gives us that excitement of the find well, there are also many of you out there that, for whatever the reason, have never experienced this type of "rush" either from the find, right to the moment the treasure is open and revealed.

When I found this chunk of wood, I though immediately in inviting ALL of YOU, to follow me on this journey and share with you that excitement and expectation/anticipation to opening that treasure chest.

I know, what that does and means to me, I would be doing exactly the same thing, if I did not sell any of my woods, is not the monetary value that matters to me but, the ability (in much decline, unfortunately) to be able to bring to life, something that would be discarded or destroyed...!

I hope that I achieved that, and that I manage to share with all of you, what "fuels" me...!:biggrin:

Winners list; (Please Paypal me AU$18.00 each for shipping as per usual...!)

*- Sprung
*- edohmann
*- Skewer
*- wyone
*- 1080Wayne
*- Krash
*- lyonsacc
*- southernclay

Below is a pic of the blanks made from the 2 x 1/8 of the whole chunk, I haven't count them but, it will be enough for now, I have 3/4 of what you see in straight cut, some diagonal and some cross, I may have to make some more in cross cut as I like the way they look.

Total blanks= 12 x 8 winners = 96 blanks :wink::biggrin:

Where you see the blanks is where I have my waxing pan but, after I waxed the shorts I had, I decided to leave them as is, they get so damn dark with the wax that, you don't see much...!

This is typical of the Red Gum wood, the deeper it was in the ground and older the timber is, the darker it will become when wet. The under water cured Colonial Red Gum wood/blanks, were also very dark, if you may remember.:)

004.JPG

005.JPG

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Sprung

PayPal sent, George! Thanks for the fun - and glad I caught this game early enough to join in on the fun and learning! I think I forgot to include my address when I sent PayPal, so I'll send you a message with it.

Thank you George and Mr. Anonymous!

robutacion

wow.. I am VERY greatful! TY... always such a treat to get something from George. Thank you so much and please let Mr A know that we really appreciate his generosity as well

G'day mate...!

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it...!

You don't need to ask me to pass on messages to Mr. Anonymous, he is watching from behind the scenes...!:wink::biggrin:

And by-the-way, a bowl blank from a root from these same tree species, a little younger a couple hundred years or so from this last find, is owed to you as promised, I have not forgotten and I have intention to make that promised good very soon as I need to get into my storage paddock and fix a few things before the wood disappear.

The bowl blank for you, will be cut from one of a few large slabs that were processed nearly 2 years ago, I also need to cut a big chunk of the Olive wood root for a couple of fellows waiting, I have to have it done, and I want to get those jobs out of the way, as quicker as possible...!:)

Cheers
George

southernclay

Congrats fellas!

Beautiful stuff George, video 2 is working well now. Thanks for taking the time to make and post them, fun to watch for sure!

I like those steel toed crocs you were wearing in video 1 :biggrin:

robutacion

Congrats fellas!

Beautiful stuff George, video 2 is working well now. Thanks for taking the time to make and post them, fun to watch for sure!

I like those steel toed crocs you were wearing in video 1 :biggrin:

Hahahah, you obviously haven't read the full clip 1 description, huh...???

The funny part was that, I never though of any of my safety gear, until I played back the first clip to see if was OK. I was so focussed of cutting that thing out that, not even the chainsaw noise seemed to affect me which is normally not the case but, it did happen and I can't change that...!

Yes, it was fun...!

Cheers
George

wyone

George,

I sent payment for this game. I am fine with waiting for the bowl blank. There is no rush on it at all, so if it is not for a few weeks or months, that is fine, whatever works for you. I do not want you to worry about rushing to get it out to me. :) :)

Please let me know when you figure out how much I will owe you for that and I will send payment immediately.

Again.. the word thanks seems so small for all you have given us, but thanks!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Payment sent, George.

Thanks again for running these fun contests and special thanks to Mr. A. for sponsoring them. I learn a lot each time, whether I win or not.

And thanks also for the "no DL" in honor of Anzac Day. WWI remembrances are always special for me. One of my great-uncles was an officer in the US Army during WWI. He gave me his 2LT bars when I received my commission in 1972 - it was a real surprise and I was honored to wear them.

Top Bottom