3. Palm Root
4. Kaffir/Coral
5. Truffle
6. Peppercorn Tree Burl
7. PNG Rosewood
8. Australian Almond

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Are you sure Macrocarpa should be on this list?

Well, is anyone actually taking any notice on my clues, I reckon you guys are so focussed in the possible wood species names that you aren't taken any notice of the clues themselves. Surely, some of you will recall some of my wood stories and look in the right place. I never said that all these blanks are only listed on my new web store, in fact and now that I think of it, is only one of the "trick" species that is not, most have sold and I kept a couple for myself, including this one that will now, be given awat to someone.

I don't really enjoy, throwing a spanner in the works but, I may need to take some of you out of misery and confuse things even more, probably but, there is one thing that the following wood species have in common;

-Scarlet Kunzea Shrub
-Australian Blackwood
-Colonial Red Gum
-Cootamundra Wattle
-Bottlebrush
-Lucerne
-Golden Wattle
-Shiraz Vine
-Brown Mallee Burl
-Cigarwood
-Silky Oak
-Curly/Twisted Gum
-Bottlebrush tree Root
-Australian almond tree wood
-White wattle
-Rubber Wood
-Macrocarpa

None of them are part of this 8 blanks pack...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

And about that...??? will it make things easier, now...!

One of the most "tricky" ones, of the 2 everyone seems to be having troubles with, may have something to do with the "ocean"...! Humm, I think that I may have said, too much...!:redface:

Cheers
George

Krash

Or ...

1. PNG Rosewood (Amboyna)
2. Huon Pine Burl
3. Palm Root
4. Kaffir/Coral
5. Truffle
6. Peppercorn Tree Burl
7. PNG Rosewood
8. Willow

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
New final answer (I hope..)

1. Amboyna Burl
2. Huon Pine Burl
3. Palm Root
4. Norfolk Pine
5. Truffle
6. Black Wattle
7. Peppercorn Tree Burl
8. Tortuosa Willow Burl

Edgar

robutacion

Are you sure Macrocarpa should be on this list?

Well, is anyone actually taking any notice on my clues, I reckon you guys are so focussed in the possible wood species names that you aren't taken any notice of the clues themselves. Surely, some of you will recall some of my wood stories and look in the right place. I never said that all these blanks are only listed on my new web store, in fact and now that I think of it, is only one of the "trick" species that is not, most have sold and I kept a couple for myself, including this one that will now, be given awat to someone.

I don't really enjoy, throwing a spanner in the works but, I may need to take some of you out of misery and confuse things even more, probably but, there is one thing that the following wood species have in common;

-Scarlet Kunzea Shrub
-Australian Blackwood
-Colonial Red Gum
-Cootamundra Wattle
-Bottlebrush
-Lucerne
-Golden Wattle
-Shiraz Vine
-Brown Mallee Burl
-Cigarwood
-Silky Oak
-Curly/Twisted Gum
-Bottlebrush tree Root
-Australian almond tree wood
-White wattle
-Rubber Wood
-Macrocarpa

None of them are part of this 8 blanks pack...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

And about that...??? will it make things easier, now...!

One of the most "tricky" ones, of the 2 everyone seems to be having troubles with, may have something to do with the "ocean"...! Humm, I think that I may have said, too much...!:redface:

Cheers
George

Absolutely Kelly, Macrocarpa is not part of the 8 blanks in the pic...! sorry.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
New final answer (just kidding - more where this came from..)

1. Amboyna Burl
2. Huon Pine Burl
3. Palm Root
4. Coral Gum
5. Truffle
6. Black Wattle
7. Peppercorn Tree Burl
8. Tortuosa Willow Burl

Edgar

Ironwood

Someone has to jag this soon.

1. Amboyna
2. Huon pine burl
3. Palm root
4. Coral tree
5. Truffle
6. Peppercorn
7. Amboyna
8. Platypus Gum

robutacion

And the winner is...???

Well good people, time to get the cat out of the box...!

I was "interesting" to see people going back and forwards with the timbers name and while some of you got very close, only 2 people got it right but, 1080Wayne on post #48, gave all the corrects answers on the right order.

Philb as the last poster, did also correctly name the blanks but, too late, and Krash (Kelly) on post #43, made the mistake to call the last blank name, Willow when in all other guesses the mentioned Tortuosa Willow, the fcat of the matter is that, I have Willow on my timbers list as #12, while the Tortuosa Willow is #33 so, sorry Kelly, I could accept your answer as the correct one...!

They were only 7 names amongst the 8 blanks as 2 of them are Amboyna so, the correct names were;

*- 1 Amboyna burl Resifill
*- 2 Huon Pine burl Resifill
*- 3 Palm root Resifill
*- 4 Coral tree (triple stabilized)
*- 5 Truffle Resifill
*- 6 Peppercorn burl Resifill
*- 7 Amboyna burl dyed/stabilized
*- 8 Tortuosa Willow burl stabilized

So, congratulations 1080Wayne, you are the sole winner of these blanks. (I will send you a PM, shortly)

Thank you to all that participated, I saw some very keen members trying to win these blanks, and while you guy's may have missed out this time, there another 60 or more of these games to go yet, until July 2015.

The prize was sponsored by Mr. Anonymous and the game organizer and implementer, was me George from George's Bits of Timber...!

Thank you...!

PS: As promised, a copy of the original pic will be downloaded directly into this thread, together with a pic of the blanks group with the corresponding names and numbers, showing...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 166

Krash

Oh well. I had been using Tortuosa Willow in my other guesses and just shortened it for expediency. It was fun figuring out your clues and finding the Coral tree first from your clues.

I'll give it another shot next time! :biggrin:

Thanks for runing these fun contests.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations Wayne! You'll be getting a nice set of blanks for sure.
Thanks to George & Mr. A for the contest - it was a lot of fun & I'm looking forward to the next one.

Edgar

robutacion

Oh well. I had been using Tortuosa Willow in my other guesses and just shortened it for expediency. It was fun figuring out your clues and finding the Coral tree first from your clues.

I do actually believe, that could have been the case, and if I didn't have a specific species name/number as Willow/#12, I would have had given the win to you but, having 2 Willow species, I need the correct one.

I know how you feel but I have to be fair to everyone, I helped the most I could so, will be many more opportunities for you, it was fun to see your persistent participation, that is the best way to get a win...!

Thank you for being a good sport...! The same goes for everyone else that had a go, or two, or three....!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Krash

I do actually believe, that could have been the case, and if I didn't have a specific species name/number as Willow/#12, I would have had given the win to you but, having 2 Willow species, I need the correct one.

I know how you feel but I have to be fair to everyone, I helped the most I could so, will be many more opportunities for you, it was fun to see your persistent participation, that is the best way to get a win...!

Thank you for being a good sport...! The same goes for everyone else that had a go, or two, or three....!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

No problem. The whole idea is to have fun and I did! :biggrin:

1080Wayne

Well , THANK YOU George , and Mr Anonymous , and all of you who led the way in figuring out what some of the blanks were . I don`t think I would ever have guessed amboyna for 7 .

Krash , when I made my post , I thought you had it . If you PM me your mailing address , in about 2 weeks I will put a package in the mail to you . There won`t be any Australian blanks in it - just better stuff , that George doesn`t have easy access to . Of course if he lets me keep winning , I`ll probably feel obligated to send him some too .

Krash

Well , THANK YOU George , and Mr Anonymous , and all of you who led the way in figuring out what some of the blanks were . I don`t think I would ever have guessed amboyna for 7 .

Krash , when I made my post , I thought you had it . If you PM me your mailing address , in about 2 weeks I will put a package in the mail to you . There won`t be any Australian blanks in it - just better stuff , that George doesn`t have easy access to . Of course if he lets me keep winning , I`ll probably feel obligated to send him some too .

Wow, great offer!
Don't feel obligated but if'n you are feeling' it, I will definitely take you up on it. :)

PM coming ...

robutacion

Well , THANK YOU George , and Mr Anonymous , and all of you who led the way in figuring out what some of the blanks were . I don`t think I would ever have guessed amboyna for 7 . Yeah, it is the same as #2 but without the resin, they were the "Georgenized" blanks, someone mentioned, here.

Krash , when I made my post , I thought you had it . If you PM me your mailing address , in about 2 weeks I will put a package in the mail to you . That is a very generous offer, for the very reasons I explained on the winner announcement post, I only had 1 (one) prize for this game, and your answer was the best one until that point, I do feel sorry for Kelly, tough...! There won`t be any Australian blanks in it - just better stuff, excuse me...???? that George doesn`t have easy access to . Now, that I may agreed with, unfortunately...! Of course if he lets me keep winning, Well, your wins have nothing to do with me, you are the one to play the game so, anyone that does, have a good chance of winning, huh...???:), I`ll probably feel obligated to send him some too. Hahahahah, never feel obligated to send me anything but, if you do, I won't send it back, I would say, thank you...!:wink::biggrin:

George :biggrin:

Krash

Well , THANK YOU George , and Mr Anonymous , and all of you who led the way in figuring out what some of the blanks were . I don`t think I would ever have guessed amboyna for 7 . Yeah, it is the same as #2 but without the resin, they were the "Georgenized" blanks, someone mentioned, here.

Krash , when I made my post , I thought you had it . If you PM me your mailing address , in about 2 weeks I will put a package in the mail to you . That is a very generous offer, for the very reasons I explained on the winner announcement post, I only had 1 (one) prize for this game, and your answer was the best one until that point, I do feel sorry for Kelly, tough...! There won`t be any Australian blanks in it - just better stuff, excuse me...???? that George doesn`t have easy access to . Now, that I may agreed with, unfortunately...! Of course if he lets me keep winning, Well, your wins have nothing to do with me, you are the one to play the game so, anyone that does, have a good chance of winning, huh...???:), I`ll probably feel obligated to send him some too. Hahahahah, never feel obligated to send me anything but, if you do, I won't send it back, I would say, thank you...!:wink::biggrin:

George :biggrin:

I agree with you George, but don't feel sorry for me. Rules are rules and you are in the sometimes unfortunate position of enforcing the letter, not the spirit, of the law. Although I was disappointed, and could have whined (maybe I did whine just a bit!), you were right. The two willows are the same genus but are different species and the stated rules said you would accept the same species, not the same genus. My bad for taking a shortcut. Good for Wayne for picking up on my omission and posting the correct list first. It was fun and I got to know your new website pretty well. I love your products and now want to get some myself.

So, no worries about me being a "good sport". I had fun! :laugh:

Lookin' forward to the "better" set of blanks from Wayne! :bulgy-eyes:

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Blanks arrived today and look great . Thanks again , George and Mr Anonymous !! Should be a bunch of $100-300 pens IF I can convince my customers to waltz with Matilda rather than shuffle off with wood from trees they grew up with .

robutacion

Blanks arrived today and look great . Thanks again , George and Mr Anonymous !! Should be a bunch of $100-300 pens IF I can convince my customers to waltz with Matilda rather than shuffle off with wood from trees they grew up with .

Great news mate, glad you got the parcel, all in one piece...!:biggrin:

I don't know how much convincing you have to do to, get your customers to be prepared to pay the money a good kit dressed with any of the blanks sent, it may help to harm yourself with some Aussie music Cd's and have it playing when the sale is attempted.

From the Waltzing Matilda sung by this unique artist, no longer with us, here, then you can go with another one that I have and represent, the Cootamundra Wattle, here or, if you want to put some humour mood into the sale of Aussie wood, given them this, here and here

Enjoy and laugh...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom