Mr. Anonymous Game #16 @ 27/01/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I was wondering if you had any pictures of the end cut of the logs you cut. I am learning to look at every piece of wood differently than I used to. I also find myself looking at the side of the road for any dead trees and or branches. LOL

So much to learn, but you make it enjoyable to learn. I keep thinking I will find an awesome piece of wood that I can post and send to you and some of the great members in this forum that have sent me things. I want to give back to show my appreciation.

Again, thank you to you and Mr A

Mitch,

Firstly, thank you very much for you appreciation...!:wink:

If there is anything that I would like to pass on to others, is my knowledge and passion for trees/woods, together with some ideas on how to make some stuff...!:biggrin:

I found myself, not wanting to drive, and one of the reasons is that, I can't get my eyes off the side of the road, and all the tree that I pass by, that my friend, is a very dangerous habit that endup causing a bad accident.

For me, I join my recent (a few years now) displeasing wish to drive and the fact that, my wife Merissa seems to enjoy driving, very much, I make the best out of the opportunity and seat there, on the passenger seat, not giving a hoot to what is going on on the road, that is a much relaxed way of traveling, in my book...!

Now, in relation to the pics of the logs from that branch, I have no recollection that I took any pics when I got home and before I put them on the bandsaw, which was done as soon as we got home, sorry...!

As you said, is so much more to wood than one would first think, a good example of this is, what you may be able to see from a branch that has fallen. Most cases, the branches (unless fairly large) show only some light coloured wood, which in 95% of times, is only sapwood.

Heartwood is "mostly" found when the branches become limbs and off-course, at the tree trunk. So, deciding that a particular tree is no good only because you saw a branch, will be a very silly mistake. There are exceptions to this rule, as was the case with this large branch (for the average tree species size), 6" diameter in large size trees, means nothing, it would be like a toothpick, in the large tree world...!

Follow a simple principle, take home anything you find, in your own time, cut about a 11" long piece (2 x pen blanks lengths) and slice it open, start at the largest end, if there is nothing interesting, the chances are, the rest will be even worse...!

PS: I have to offer my apologies to Mr. A, for not mentioning the fact that, without his sponsor, I wouldn't be able to offer so many prizes and of this size so, it would be great that we all don't forget that...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wyone

I meant to send this to you the other day George. I saw this and thought of you. hmmm Wondering how accurate it is. :)

Attachments

• Australia.png
    Australia.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 169

Cwalker935

Thank you and Mr. A for the game (and blanks). PayPal sent a few moments ago.
Now a question, are we all on the 30 day DL (disabled list) or just Cody (Cwalker935)?
Jeff

Ouch, Jeff did not have to throw me under the bus like that. However, I am OK with being placed on the DL list for 30 days if that is the ultimate verdict.

Thanks for the contest George! Paypal sent.

Cody

robutacion

I meant to send this to you the other day George. I saw this and thought of you. hmmm Wondering how accurate it is. :)

Humm...! who ever done that map, was very generous indeed, if they would really tell, the creatures that that can crawl into you home bed and bite you, not mentioning the ones outside ready for a revenge (revenge because, we are in their natural habitat...!), no one would visit Australia.

In all fairness, is not that bad, I only get bitten, every so often...!:eek::wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Now a question, are we all on the 30 day DL (disabled list) or just Cody (Cwalker935)?
Jeff

Ouch, Jeff did not have to throw me under the bus like that. However, I am OK with being placed on the DL list for 30 days if that is the ultimate verdict.

Cody

Mate, you being number 1, you are certainly in the dog house for 4 weeks, that will go faster than what you thing.

I may even do a couple of "newbie, only" games, just to equalize the situation, what do you're reckon...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks George & Mr. Anonymous for another fun game -- payment sent.

I was quite sure that the wood was Eucalyptus Sideroxylon, but you took so long to acknowledge the answers that I thought you might be throwing us a little curve & perhaps the wood might be Eucalyptus Tricarpa - formerly regarded as a subspecies of Sideroxylon, but now is a species in its own right.

From what I've read of the two, I'm not sure how you would tell them apart.

Edgar

Karl_99

George:

Thank you to you and Mr. A. for another great game! I was searching away and wrote down my answer and when I came back to the thread, I saw that the answer was already posted. I am glad I remembered your counsel to post our answer even if we were not first as you sometimes will award several! PP sent. Thanks again

Skeleton2014

Jeff

Cody

Sorry, won't happen again! Just thought if I could draw George's attention away from the 2nd placers, he'd let us off the DL... but, I knew it was a long shot!
Congratulations on the win!
Jeff

Skeleton2014

Attachments

• sheep-flag.jpg
    sheep-flag.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 137
  • tdy_mor_sheep_150127_video-260x195.jpg
    tdy_mor_sheep_150127_video-260x195.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 147

robutacion

robutacion

Thanks George & Mr. Anonymous for another fun game -- payment sent.

I was quite sure that the wood was Eucalyptus Sideroxylon, but you took so long to acknowledge the answers that I thought you might be throwing us a little curve & perhaps the wood might be Eucalyptus Tricarpa - formerly regarded as a subspecies of Sideroxylon, but now is a species in its own right.

From what I've read of the two, I'm not sure how you would tell them apart.

Edgar

You know, you could be right, they are almost impossible to differentiate and both are expected to live in these areas so, as for the correct name, I had to make the decision based on my research from what I knew originally about these tree and the name Eucalyptus Sideroxylon keep coming up as the species of choice and with the higher rate of being the right one so, the decision was made but, I understand perfectly your comment and I would agree with it...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Got my blanks

I received my Game #16 prize pack today, and it's an awesome selection of blanks (as always).

All were marked except the purple one on the left - and it may be marked, just not readable due to the dye. I believe it's #18 Stabilized & Purple Dyed Golden Wattle, but George can correct me if I'm wrong. It's really striking and high on my list for turning real soon.

Once again, thanks to George & Mr. A. for these great games.

Edgar

Attachments

• MrAnonymous16.jpg
    MrAnonymous16.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 157

robutacion

I received my Game #16 prize pack today, and it's an awesome selection of blanks (as always).

All were marked except the purple one on the left - and it may be marked, just not readable due to the dye. I believe it's #18 Stabilized & Purple Dyed Golden Wattle, but George can correct me if I'm wrong. It's really striking and high on my list for turning real soon.

Once again, thanks to George & Mr. A. for these great games.

Edgar

Are you kidding me...??? don't you remember what that blank is...??? that was the reason why it wasn't marked, they were the highlight of a game "deal" we done, not that long ago.

Everyone got one and all packs are identical, this were part of my third batch that I made a little darker in the dye than the first batch that were all used in that game, does it ring the bell, now...?

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Well that was my first thought, but I didn't realize that you had made a much darker batch like this. When I was looking at your site, it looked very much like a couple of your purple dyed #18 - even the end grain looked very similar. No matter, I am very happy to have it - I am sure it will make a stunning pen.

robutacion

Well that was my first thought, but I didn't realize that you had made a much darker batch like this. When I was looking at your site, it looked very much like a couple of your purple dyed #18 - even the end grain looked very similar. No matter, I am very happy to have it - I am sure it will make a stunning pen.

Humm, OK mate, I know now what you would like to receive next, huh...???:):biggrin:

You may get lucky...!:)

Cheers
George

wyone

I received my box of blanks from George and Mr A today. As usual they are really AWESOME. Something special about knowing they come from George! I really really appreciate the generosity of both of you. The package made my day today!

Thank you once again!

robutacion

I received my box of blanks from George and Mr A today. As usual they are really AWESOME. Something special about knowing they come from George! I really really appreciate the generosity of both of you. The package made my day today!

Thank you once again!

Hi Mitch,

You're welcome mate...!

Thank you for letting me know of the parcel arrival, it does put my mind on ease, I always worry about parcels not reaching their destiny, I have been quiet lucky in that respect..!

Yes...! I did touch wood, just in case, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

philb

Just saw I was on the list of names for this one!

I'll pass at the moment thanks George, I'm gambling on another win in the future!!

Thanks for offering these up though!!

robutacion

Just saw I was on the list of names for this one!

I'll pass at the moment thanks George, I'm gambling on another win in the future!!

Thanks for offering these up though!!

G'day Philb,

Was no need for you to make such announcement, I have stated many times that, on any games where I decided in extent prizes to second place winners, the offer is made and you are the one to decided if you want to claim it and become part of the DL waiting time or simply not claiming it but not sending the Paypal payment for the shipping, that is the action upon I know it people wants to pass it or not, and I'm most happy either way, I respect peoples decisions and therefore, I never announce who claimed it or not...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom