Bark
Batch 1 #51 straight Cut Australian Silky Oak
Batch 2 #82 Cross cut-Australian Rock Oak

Ok here goes...

Bark
Batch 1 #51 straight Cut Australian Silky Oak
Batch 2 #82 Cross cut-Australian Rock Oak

Gotta make double sure of your answer! :biggrin:

(also a good idea to repeat the answers of some of the people in the penalty box)

Last edited:

wyone

LOL well see.. when you work too many hours.. the clicking action sometimes gets confused. :) :)

I did not see anyone with the same answer. I guess I was too intent on my own answer. I guess I should go back and read the other answers now. Or maybe later after I take a break. :) :)

robutacion

And the winner is...???

OK folks, time to stop the "suffering"...!:eek::)

You people have by now know that, I don't jump right to the winning award as soon as someone gives the correct answer, sometimes I like to see if there is anyone else that, also has the correct answer, and although I had stipulated that, on this game only one winner would be awarded, I always like to see how sure people is of their guesses and at the same time, allow enough time for everyone to have a go...!

With this said, I had the winner yesterday, I watched his great efforts at getting the correct answers, he was obviously not sure of the second wood species even though, he was very quick to work out what was that wood species that I mention on post #21, that was correct but in the incorrect order, that was the Silky-Oak.

On post #26, I found the correct answer however, I decided to play a little trick and make believe that, the Australian Ash could no the the one as off-course, our friend went all "gaga" and went looking....!:wink::biggrin:

As I mention, I have 2 different types of Ash wood, the bark is slightly different of each other, one is a more more rough/thicker and believe it or not, when I moved to this house, the ward had a very young tree planted (some other also) that I didn't recognize what it was however, when it grown a little bigger, I saw what was coming out of the ground and that when I discovered what it was. It looks now like this, My Ash tree1.JPGMy Ash tree2.JPG

This is the Ash bark I used, 100_1491.jpg

As this is one of the pics that appear on the Google search of images of the Ash tree bark, web Ash tree bark image.jpg

Sorry Wayne (1080wayne), I was just kidding...!

Congratulations Mr.1080wayne, you are a deserving winner on this game...!:present:

So lets explain a little about these bark blanks;

The silky-oak bark was put aside some time ago when I processed some of the logs I cut last year, I then needed to process some Ask pen blanks and grabbed one of the logs I had in the shed, away from the weather for a couple of years so, the bark just peeled off by itself and, I grabbed it and in the way it was cut (on the cross cut side), I saw that, its characteristics would be interesting to see cast in resin, in that same cross cut configuration.

When I decided to cast some of it, I thought of the Silky-oak bark I had but, I had slabbed the log into 60mm thick slabs so, I could use it on the cross cut, I didn't have enough length for it so, I decided to cut some 22mm strips and cast them also.

Apart from many hours in the oven to make sure, was no moisture left in it, I stabilized it all with Cactus Juice (off-course) knowing that, bark is a buoyant material, nature made it with the intent to protect the tree from the weather and animal infestations so, tree bark is liquid repellent and very difficult to soak with anything, stabilizing does improve significantly the bark workability but, won't transform it into a solid/hard material.

After cast, all the resin/bark joints were soaked with super thin CA to make sure any separation was resolved with the CA. This has become a normal practice in 90% of the Resifills I make, I want to make sure, the 2 materials are adhered the best way I can...!:)

While casting, I use the new Shimmer violet from Pearlex powders that I like very much and also some of the always efficient Sky-Blue powder but, I decided to try something that I had in mind to try, for quite some time so, I used the opportunity to test my theory on creating resin "chunks" that will blend with the "running" resin, without leaving any straight sharp edges, as they would if the chunks were solid.

Anyway, the results were quite good and effective (fairly messy, though..!:frown:) and I was pleased with the way both bark types, come out and I will be doing some more, in the near future...!:biggrin:

OK, time to wrap this up, once again, thank you to everyone that participated in this game, most appreciated. I will try to maintain the learning aspect, of these games...!:)

Your turn will be, next time...!:biggrin:

The winner pays the shipping of AU$14.00 to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

OK folks, time to stop the "suffering"...!:eek::)

You people have by now know that, I don't jump right to the winning award as soon as someone gives the correct answer, sometimes I like to see if there is anyone else that, also has the correct answer, and although I had stipulated that, on this game only one winner would be awarded, I always like to see how sure people is of their guesses and at the same time, allow enough time for everyone to have a go...!

With this said, I had the winner yesterday, I watched his great efforts at getting the correct answers, he was obviously not sure of the second wood species even though, he was very quick to work out what was that wood species that I mention on post #21, that was correct but in the incorrect order, that was the Silky-Oak.

On post #26, I found the correct answer however, I decided to play a little trick and make believe that, the Australian Ash could no the the one as off-course, our friend went all "gaga" and went looking....!:wink::biggrin:

As I mention, I have 2 different types of Ash wood, the bark is slightly different of each other, one is a more more rough/thicker and believe it or not, when I moved to this house, the ward had a very young tree planted (some other also) that I didn't recognize what it was however, when it grown a little bigger, I saw what was coming out of the ground and that when I discovered what it was. It looks now like this, View attachment 127723View attachment 127724

This is the Ash bark I used, View attachment 127722

As this is one of the pics that appear on the Google search of images of the Ash tree bark, View attachment 127725

Sorry Wayne (1080wayne), I was just kidding...!

Congratulations Mr.1080wayne, you are a deserving winner on this game...!:present:

So lets explain a little about these bark blanks;

The silky-oak bark was put aside some time ago when I processed some of the logs I cut last year, I then needed to process some Ask pen blanks and grabbed one of the logs I had in the shed, away from the weather for a couple of years so, the bark just peeled off by itself and, I grabbed it and in the way it was cut (on the cross cut side), I saw that, its characteristics would be interesting to see cast in resin, in that same cross cut configuration.

When I decided to cast some of it, I thought of the Silky-oak bark I had but, I had slabbed the log into 60mm thick slabs so, I could use it on the cross cut, I didn't have enough length for it so, I decided to cut some 22mm strips and cast them also.

Apart from many hours in the oven to make sure, was no moisture left in it, I stabilized it all with Cactus Juice (off-course) knowing that, bark is a buoyant material, nature made it with the intent to protect the tree from the weather and animal infestations so, tree bark is liquid repellent and very difficult to soak with anything, stabilizing does improve significantly the bark workability but, won't transform it into a solid/hard material.

After cast, all the resin/bark joints were soaked with super thin CA to make sure any separation was resolved with the CA. This has become a normal practice in 90% of the Resifills I make, I want to make sure, the 2 materials are adhered the best way I can...!:)

While casting, I use the new Shimmer violet from Pearlex powders that I like very much and also some of the always efficient Sky-Blue powder but, I decided to try something that I had in mind to try, for quite some time so, I used the opportunity to test my theory on creating resin "chunks" that will blend with the "running" resin, without leaving any straight sharp edges, as they would if the chunks were solid.

Anyway, the results were quite good and effective (fairly messy, though..!:frown:) and I was pleased with the way both bark types, come out and I will be doing some more, in the near future...!:biggrin:

OK, time to wrap this up, once again, thank you to everyone that participated in this game, most appreciated. I will try to maintain the learning aspect, of these games...!:)

Your turn will be, next time...!:biggrin:

The winner pays the shipping of AU$14.00 to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Cheers
George

Hi George

Don`t know what to say , except thank you and Mr Anonymous for a perfect end to a day which otherwise hasn`t been quite so good .

I certainly couldn`t be sure of what kind of tree that bark came from . You could have made roughly comparable appearing blanks from most of the trees that I and others guessed . My ash experience is limited to the wood of green ash - initially in the form of baseball bats , but more recently in pens and other spindle turnings . I know of one bowl turner who seldom turns anything else .

I do incorporate bark into my turnings - many like the more rustic look - and go through 8 oz bottles of CA in the process , so I have a good understanding of the problems you encounter .

So , THANK YOU again George . Paypal will be on it`s way . I will find something other than Australian trees to dream about tonight . Maybe I can dream up a way to sell a pen made from a banksia pod !!

Wayne

1080Wayne

George

Looked at your ash photos again . The Google photo looks like white or red ash with the characteristic intersecting bark ridges in a diamond pattern . I don`t see that pattern in the lichen covered piece that you cast , or in the photo of the base of the young tree , so they are likely different species . Did the lichen survive the stabilization and casting processes ? I incorporate it into larger turnings and it is generally secure without added help , but a pen is difficult .

Skeleton2014

Congratulations Wayne... You deserved to win after putting in all that effort... Good job and thanks for helping me get at least the answer to batch 1!!!
Jeff

robutacion

George

Looked at your ash photos again . The Google photo looks like white or red ash with the characteristic intersecting bark ridges in a diamond pattern . I don`t see that pattern in the lichen covered piece that you cast , or in the photo of the base of the young tree , so they are likely different species . Did the lichen survive the stabilization and casting processes ? I incorporate it into larger turnings and it is generally secure without added help , but a pen is difficult .

Hi Wayne,

The Google pic is just one of many that appeared when I look at Ash trees bark, it only served to exemplify another one many Ash species some with rougher bark than others.

That young tree (about 10 years old) in my yard, is the same species as the one that I cut some years ago, and of which I used some of its bark to do the cross cut blanks. My yard tree, is not yet showing any of the fungi growing on it, and the pic with the yellow lichen, was taken within days of the tree being cut.

Many of its logs were put under cover in my yard and some how, all the yellow fungi is nothing but dried up and unnoticeable as such. There is also the fact that, many of the green wood/logs get cleaned with water pressure before they are stored, from sand, mud to all sorts of debri that are found in the bark so, much of it would come out with the water pressure.

I really didn't give it a second though, I pulled out a pic from some I took what I cut the wood, I remember the yellow on it but, as many other fungi that comes attached to the trees, endup dying off when the wood is stored under cover, sometimes this mean, under heavy duty plastic but, outside on top of wooden pallets and I can tell you that, with our Summer temperatures, you wouldn't wanted to be under that plastic, the temps will go over 60° celsius, no fungus survives to that...!

Another interesting thing is that, I'm not 100% on this but, I seen lots of little mice (have plenty around...! better than snakes) chewing on something on some tree barks, I won't be surprised if they find it sweet and eat it.
This Ash has been cut about 5 years ago so, anything could have happened...!

Another thing is that, I tend to use a wire brush to clean some of the bark and then use the air compressor gun to blow ant loose stuff out, including grains of sand that play havoc with cutting tools, that alone could be responsible for the removal of any possible dry fungi left in the bark...!

But thanks for the observation, I did think of that, until you just mentioned it...!

I'm pleased to know that, I manage to salvage your bad day, by awarding you with the prize, that worked so hard for so, thank you for that...!

Another thing that I have to clarify is that, the #82 Rock-Oak species, was added to the list (the official one, and probably not all the online lists), the day I started game #13, that was almost 1 month ago so, I didn't realise that, some of you guys have thought that I listed in at the last moment to trick you people when in fact, never crossed my mind as the game #15 had nothing to do with that wood species, but that off-course, was me thinking but you guys didn't know that so, I can understand how that has come to be...!

Your blanks will be on their way, very soon...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I was sure I had it when I reread his OP and he talked about his 82 varieties, and then I got out my list of woods (yes I have it PRINTED OUT ) and there were only 81.

I'm so sorry about that, my friend, I don't think that any of you got the new updated listed yet, I had about 20 sheets printed with 81 species when I added the #82 on the master list and printed 50 of them, everyone got the older list until I used them all, only a couple of people that bought my updated 82 Mix pack, got the updated list with the blanks. I started this week to provide the new printed list so, the next time you get something from me, you get the upgraded list, there is, if I haven't added something else to it again, by then...!

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

George

Hi Wayne,

The Google pic is just one of many that appeared when I look at Ash trees bark, it only served to exemplify another one many Ash species some with rougher bark than others.

That young tree (about 10 years old) in my yard, is the same species as the one that I cut some years ago, and of which I used some of its bark to do the cross cut blanks. My yard tree, is not yet showing any of the fungi growing on it, and the pic with the yellow lichen, was taken within days of the tree being cut.

Many of its logs were put under cover in my yard and some how, all the yellow fungi is nothing but dried up and unnoticeable as such. There is also the fact that, many of the green wood/logs get cleaned with water pressure before they are stored, from sand, mud to all sorts of debri that are found in the bark so, much of it would come out with the water pressure.

I really didn't give it a second though, I pulled out a pic from some I took what I cut the wood, I remember the yellow on it but, as many other fungi that comes attached to the trees, endup dying off when the wood is stored under cover, sometimes this mean, under heavy duty plastic but, outside on top of wooden pallets and I can tell you that, with our Summer temperatures, you wouldn't wanted to be under that plastic, the temps will go over 60° celsius, no fungus survives to that...!

Another interesting thing is that, I'm not 100% on this but, I seen lots of little mice (have plenty around...! better than snakes) chewing on something on some tree barks, I won't be surprised if they find it sweet and eat it.
This Ash has been cut about 5 years ago so, anything could have happened...!

Another thing is that, I tend to use a wire brush to clean some of the bark and then use the air compressor gun to blow ant loose stuff out, including grains of sand that play havoc with cutting tools, that alone could be responsible for the removal of any dry fungi left on the bark ....!
But thanks for the observation, I did think of that, until you just mentioned it...!

I'm pleased to know that, I manage to salvage your bad day, by awarding you with the prize, that worked so hard for so, thank you for that...!

Another thing that I have to clarify is that, the #82 Rock-Oak species, was added to the list (the official one, and probably not all the online lists), the day I started game #13, that was almost 1 month ago so, I didn't realise that, some of you guys have thought that I listed in at the last moment to trick you people when in fact, never crossed my mind as the game #15 had nothing to do with that wood species, but that off-course, was me thinking but you guys didn't know that so, I can understand how that has come to be...!

Your blanks will be on their way, very soon...!

Cheers
George

Good Canadian mice operate best under a blanket of snow , where they are nice and warm . They love the bark of fruit trees , so I have to protect the trees with wrappings of chicken wire until they are at least 2 inch diameter .

Sand and ant stuff . My air compressor gets used the same way , along with more conventional use . I wonder if the ants carry some of the sand into the tree bole as they excavate . Most of my anty wood is from standing trees which the ants invaded as the tree stood dying from other causes (frequently drought ) . Anyway , time to change my bandsaw blade before I convert a finger into a pen blank .

robutacion

Great game and great prize

Thanks mate...!

And you may want to participate in these games also, I welcome anyone and everyone, no exceptions...!

Yes, the prize was a decent one however, the winner's parcel was posted this afternoon and, the small box is full to capacity, not only the 5 prize blanks and tubes but, other blanks to fill the empty spaces, its on its way, Wayne...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Package received today (28th) George . Thanks again for the great prize , including the fig , casuarina , cherry plum and platypus gum burl . Will look forward to getting off the disabled list .

Sorry Wayne, for not replying earlier..!

I actually saw the post when you posted it and I got convinced that I did reply straight away but obviously, I didn't.

You are always welcome, my friend...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom