Mr. Anonymous Game #14 @ 25/12/2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Merry Christmas everybody...!:biggrin:

There are no kids in the house to make us/me get out of bed early in the morning, Merissa has long retired to sleep, as normal but poor me, I'm still waiting for my sleeping tablet taken at dinner time (7:30pm), to start to work, normally around this time of the night but, not tonight, I'm as alert as an electric bug, tired but certainly not sleepy so, I keep seated here, typing away.

This time I decided to use some samples that I finish this evening, while I was working on the Olive wood blanks, just posted on another thread. I kept stopping the olive cutting and get all the steps done (wood dry oven, vacuum, draining, foil wrapping, back to oven, unwrap, sand excess juice to get them ready for the turning, after I was done with the Olive wood.

It worked OK, and I stabilized/dyed 10 blanks, 5 soaked in read and the other 5 soaked in blue/purple, I then put a blue one in the red juice and the red blank in the blue juice and both back in the vacuum chamber. This was done without the firs colour be cured in the oven, I let them drain for a few hours, before I put one of each on the other colour, they were all oven cured after that...!

I just had enough daylight to take a few pics, the blue shows pretty true but the read didn't, lack of natural light made it look more like dark pink but, I used the read alumilite dye...!

This was another test that I decided to do, after the positive results I got from my tests with the #25 Knotty Pine. I have lots of this wood and I remembered of its burl type eyes, in some specific parts of some logs, not all have them so, the waste of wood is horrendous however, when I say waste, is more the time and size the unused pieces endup with, as it becomes firewood that we use every winter, a whole 5 cubic meters of it so, is not really wast but rather, small firewood pieces.

So, the question is;

*- What wood species of mine, was used in these samples...?

Look carefully at the second blue sample and what it shows on it...!

Winner gets 500gr of free blanks (about 8), only pays shipping at AU$14.00 paid via Paypal to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Give as many guesses as you wish however, only one guess per post is allowed...!:wink::biggrin:

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

The tree itself was cut down in December 2007, only a couple of kilometers from where we live, it was a very large evergreen tree, calculate to be about 80 years old, at the time. The tree produce approx. 29 cubic meters of wood, it took us (Merissa and I) 11 days to start to finish, including taking all the wood home, and burn the large pile of branches...! We had to obtain a burning permit to get it all bun...!

What a job...!:eek:

PS: No, is Knotty Pine or Radiata Pine, far from it...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pretty sure it's the #2 Macrocarpa, so that's my guess.

The burl eyes most likely came from root rather than limb.

Last edited:

robutacion

And the winner is...??? or are they 2...???

#1 Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress)

First of all, let me wish to you all, a Merry Christmas day, we here in Australia are already half way into Boxing day but, that doesn't really matter, huh...???:)

Congratulations to lyonsacc, you provided the correct answer...!

As mentioned on the timbers list, the #1 and #2 are the same wood species but, one is the trunk and limbs and the other is the root wood, both quite different in its structure and grain (the same as Olive wood and many others...!)

There is nothing on the #2 root that goes to the firewood pile, maybe some small bits and ends and kindly but that is all however, the tree trunk does offer some good wood but, the limbs, regardless of size, are very plain wood, nothing really of interested appart from, some pieces that have these birdseye formation, in small areas of the wood and never possible to know where they are...!

There is one thing that is the only indicator that, that log may have some birdseye grain, and that is from some very small "spikes" under the bark however, these can be only at the surface or not deep enough to make it for a full size pen blank, often the spikes are an indication that there is/was some burl type structure developing, these spikes run down through the wood as the burl "cones or channels" form in normal burls however, I wouldn't call these wood areas "burls", that would be incorrect, I find calling it "birdseye" pieces a lot more fitting, as they look and have the structure as the birdseyes in the well known Huon Pine and others...!

I'm attaching a few pics from its story that was written on the forum I was in (Australia Wood-Working Forum), before I joined IAP...!

Anyway, there is one other issue that I need to clarify, and that is in regards of Edgar's (edohmann) 2 posts of interested, post #26 and 32, what is in them of interest to me...???

Well, you post #32 Edgar stated that #2 Macrocarpa root was his choice and he gave us his reasons to why he selected it, from that guess on this particular post, his answer is incorrect and therefore, not suitable for any award but, I can not say the same with his guess on post #26, when he used Macrocarpa as the answer, and while I would give preference to the most correct/complete answer, Macrocarpa alone, is also a correct answer so, I will apply here, the double award system, one of which I have been talking about for some time, and how it is achieved so, congrats also mate, you will be awarded equally to lyonsacc

Well, another game "dusted" and one more under Mr. Anonymous "umbrella", not sure yet if the last game for 2014, will see...!:rolleyes::wink:

Thank you so much, once again, to all that participated, I really would like to see more members participating however, I understand that, this time of the year, people has better things to do than being online and on IAP playing games so, you are all forgiven...!:biggrin:

Both winners can Paypal me to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au, the amount of AU$14.00 each, for shipping of a 500gr, size parcel, containing in average 8 full size pen blanks, of my choice unless, you have some suggestion for me...!:):wink:

Once again, Merry Christmas everyone...!

Thank you,
Cheers
George

Attachments

• my turnings 013_(1).jpg
    my turnings 013_(1).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Golden Cypress 006.jpg
    Golden Cypress 006.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 174
  • my turnings 026_(1).jpg
    my turnings 026_(1).jpg