Mr. Anonymous Game #11 @ 9/11/2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

That's that time again...!:biggrin:

This one is going to be short and sweet, I'm sure.

The blanks in these pics, 024.JPG027.JPG were cut by someone else by my request, they are 2 tone pen blanks and the wood is dry so, the question is, what wood species is it...???

The prize will be a 500gr padded envelop with 8 full size pen blanks, winner pay the shipping @ AU$14.00,it will have at least a couple of blanks that I'm just working on plus whatever else I put in and they can be anything, from simple Aussie wood species blanks valued of AU$1.00 each to blanks worth AU$10.00 each, or more, you never know when you hit the jackpot...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Anyone can participate, one guess per post, only...!

Lets go, folks...!:smile-big:

Good luck.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Sprung

Sweet Gum - reminds me of some Sweet Gum I've got.

(I'm guessing that your list of woods isn't going to help us much for this one, since you had someone cut it for you?)

stonepecker

To me, the wood appears to be a 'walnut' wood as it reminds me of the blanks I made this last summer.

What I see 'different' In picture #1 you can see the ends of the blanks.....in picture #2 you can't

robutacion

And the winner is...???

Sassafrass

Hahahahah, was only a matter of time, huh mate...???:eek::wink::biggrin:

In fact, post#18 was sufficient but, you endup identifying the correct origin and name of these wood blanks on post #27, and that is amazing, congrats, what make you think of that...?:)

Now, I just have to find some "hills weeping fig" and allow someone else to get it right at least, once...! hahahahah:)

Who would think huh...??? persistency sometimes, pay...!:wink:

As for the first clue, it was from me saying that "I asked someone else to cut them" this mean that, was not one of my woods...!:eek::cool:

My friend got some Sassafras (among other woods) when he was last in Tasmania and, I could swear that I had some in my private collection but some how, I didn't so, I ask him to cut a few for me but in 2 tone so that I could surprise you...!

Another 8 blanks going your way, let me know if the "missing" are still missing, and I resend the whole lot in one go...!

Paypal to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au - AU$14.00 :present:

Thank you for all participants, this one is over and done with so, until next time, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Yippee!
Thanks George & Mr. A

Your first post made me think that it was probably not one of your regular blanks, so I thought "possibly sassafras!"

I won a couple of eBay auctions for some TBHS a few months ago & these look very much like the ones I have, but the colors in your blanks are much nicer. The ones I got on eBay are just black & beige.

We are at the farm this weekend, so I will send payment on Tuesday when I return.

robutacion

well sheesh.. I was 100% sure I got it with Teak... :) somehow even when I don't win your game, I have a great time and learn stuff. :) :) Thanks!

Mitch,

The very reason behind these games, is not only given blanks of mine, away, the best achievement/goal of these games is for IAP members to gain an extra knowledge on wood species, most from my neck of the woods BUT, not only.

Visually being able to see the wood in the pen blanks form and size, is a great way to learn to identify wood species and be introduced to woods that otherwise, you may never hear or see off, in your life so, the learning curve is a benefit to everyone, no exceptions...!

Keep trying but, do a little research of the wood name you are thinking about, that will tell you if there is any resemblance or indication that can be the same species, you will be a lot better served by doing that than just throw any wood name just because, you thought of it, this is off-course, friendly and positive criticism...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Yippee!
Thanks George & Mr. A

Your first post made me think that it was probably not one of your regular blanks, so I thought "possibly sassafras!"

I won a couple of eBay auctions for some TBHS a few months ago & these look very much like the ones I have, but the colors in your blanks are much nicer. The ones I got on eBay are just black & beige.

We are at the farm this weekend, so I will send payment on Tuesday when I return.

Well, you though right, no doubt and after so many references to the name Sassafras in these gales, that I believe, you like so much to pronounce, leaves you with a problem now, that ain't going to work again so you lose the chance to mention it again, unless, you know that I'm perfectly capable to get other Sassafras blanks to trick you and everyone else to it, after all, that would be fun, huh...???:eek::biggrin:

Don't worry, enjoy you time in the farm, I will wait until you get back tough, as I want to make sure the missing parcel won't be waiting for you when you get back...!

Cheers
George

wyone

George... well the only one I threw out was the rosewood. LOL.. the others I actually went to your site and compared to your two tone blanks.. was sure I had the answer then. Thought about it all day and decided to try another way and did a search on Google for two tone wood and found the teak and it really looked close. I looked at probably 20 pictures of various teak and convinced myself. :)

As I said, it is still fun, and I have learned a lot, and what is better than that? Fun learning, quite a concept.

Thank you! :)

Krash

Ha ha ha Ed! :biggrin:

Way to go with your sassafras guess. It finally paid off! :)

Yippee!
Thanks George & Mr. A

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
hey now that you mention it, Ed does always guess Sassafras doesnt he?

Yeah, but this time I thiught - "OMG, I believe it really might be!" ;-)

Now I have to come up with a new stock guess - and hills weeping fig is already taken.

Last edited:

robutacion

hey now that you mention it, Ed does always guess Sassafras doesnt he?

Yeah, but this time I thiught - "OMG, I believe it really might be!" ;-)

Now I have to come up with a new stock guess - and hills weeping fig is already taken.

Well, that's true but, I have a good suggestion for you, what about "Needle Wood"...???:eek::wink::biggrin:, seriously...!:cool:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom