Mother nature can't be beat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Anyone who has turned Water Buffalo horn knows that as you turn it the horn will change some times it will totally surprise you. This one was all dark brown until:

20086291237_1.jpg

this feather showed up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Brewmeister35, Water Buffalo horn is not as bad as antler but has an odor somewhat like burnt hair.
James here is a close up of the cap.

200862925151_2.jpg

igran7

Absolutely beautiful Roy. I just bought some Water Buffalo from pennstate and have them soaking at the moment. I've never turned them before, is there anything I should know?

bitshird

Roy, that is an extremely sweet looking pen, some times the unexpected surprises are way better than what we had envisioned when we started the project, that's the nice part of being an Artisan, we can deal with it.;););););)

OKLAHOMAN

Dion, I finish horn just like I do acrylics, wet sand with mm to 12000, buff with tripoli then white diamond, back to the lathe ,brasso,meguriers plastic X polish, then TSW.

Joe, they turn with sharp tools just like acrylic, I've had no problems with cracking, drill slow, and keep the blank cool while drilling, when turning do not heat the blank, I have made 6 and keep one for over a year without cracking, sold the rest and told each customer to notify me if it cracks, haven't heard from them.

rccrazybill

Antlers and horns are actually hair so they will have that distinct smell. I love turning them and have a trick. Take one of those small .25 face masks and rub some strawberry chapstick on the outside this was you smell strawberry instead of burning hair. It works well to with CA BLO finishes.

redfishsc

That is a very nice piece of horn! Great choice of material and kit.

Originally posted by dntrost

That is really nice what is the finish?

I can't answer for him, but the horn I've used came from CSA and claims to have been "stabilized" (not sure if that means with resin, or simply "air dried"), and I do not put any finish on them other than Ren wax after assembly. I have one that I've used for several months and it has held up as shiny as the plating.

stoneman

Very VERY cool. Ain't it grand when stuff just happerns out of the blue? Impressive job as well (got to help mother nature along a little I guess?)

Top Bottom