Most popular kit??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimskio

I was wondering which pen kits sell the best? I am not looking to make a million dollars but I would like to sell some so I can get more pen kits and supplies.

thanks
jimskio

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

I remember asking that question on a different forum and getting as many different responses as there were responders. :biggrin:

One turner, who's opinion I valued, said that by far his best seller was the Cigar/El Grande style.
I have sold lots of pens since then but only 2 of them were cigars. For me, I think partly reflecting the economics of the area, slimlines and roadsters are the biggest sellers (and cheapest ones I sell).
My answer to your question then, fwiw, try different ones and see what sells in your area, then make a bunch of them.
And remember this rule: If you sell a pen for $30, it then entitiles you to buy 3x that amount in new kits!! :biggrin:

greggas

Having seen this question a few times on this site i have learned that the answer varies quite a bit depending on location and demographics of your market. My best seller by far is CSUA's Zen followed by Cigar

JohnU

I think this depends on material used. Most of what I sell I only offer in certain kits. (My sales are all by word of mouth or friends requests). I mostly make cigars of acrylic to show off the resin material. My comfort and euro pens are antler and my sierra pens are feathers or snake skin so I dont think its the style that sells it but more the material used.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After "it's hard to say" (as seen above), the next question that may give you some direction is "What price range?"

For example, one of the replies is the "zen" pen. This is a new design and unique among pens. For that reason, some of us will make it a "high end" or "luxury" pen. Others may use simple pricing formulae and end up selling it for $30 or so.

So, what is the PRICE that sells? Of course, if you ask this question of Oklahoman (art shows), his answer will be different from Alphageek (smaller venues with lower entry fees). Both guys sell their wares, appropriately for the venue they have chosen.

So, yes the component sets matter! But, price and market are equally (if not more) important.

You will be VERY hard-pressed to sell a slimline at a fountain pen collector's show.

PenMan1

In this order

For Me:
#1 - Europeans ( This is likely because of the many designs, I do many H.S. and College Logo pens, Company logo Mont Blanc look-a-likes, company giveaways, etc). I get $55 each in a very nice box, and I sell MANY of these.
#2 - Jr's ( Junior Retros, Junior Gents, Sedona, Baron, Navigator ) all postable
#3 - High end fountain pens from Casein, Bakelite, Gemstone, etc.
#4 - Fancy wooden slimlines
$5 - No postable, Gents, Emporors, Majestics,etc.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Best Seller

Nationwide in all catagories...I think every major kit seller (and most small kit sellers) will tell you that Slimlines and Fancy slimlines are their best selling kits (I sold over 25,000 last year) ...it stands to reason then, that with more kits sold and more pens made that, the best selling pens (by volume) will, in general, be slimlines. Some might debate that but they really don't have a case.

But, that being said, individual sellers may well specialize in other style pens and more than a few do, so their best sellers will be what they offer. If you want to make $100.00 pens you aren't going to do slimlines. I like to make Polaris and Sierra and Executive style...one barrel to turn and they show off the wood real well and I get as much for one of those as I do 5 or 6 slimlines but I still sell 10 to 15 slims for every other style I sell. Most of my selling is word of mouth and I am not a real big seller maybe 150 pens last year.

Lenny

jimskio,
The slimlines are a very versatile kit to experiment with as well. By tossing the center band and (1) making your own or (2) Eliminating it entirely, you can get pretty creative with the shape and design.

Top Bottom