• Split or dug into wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Messed up finish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

Now and then, something goes wrong, right? OK, maybe just for me. But on the theory somebody else may screw up occasionally ...

I originally had "working too fast" as an option, but for me, that's at the root of nearly all the answers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Mine is "out of round barrels".

Usually due to misalignment, flexing or bent mandrel, etc. Fixed that with a Beall collet chuck [;)]

Rifleman1776

Like Dario, out of round barrels. I corrected that by using proper size drills, often not suppliers reccomendation and going to the 'no mandrel' method of turning. Also, finding a large dose of patience that had been lacking previously.

doddman70

Most common problem used to be out of round but i to fixed that with a collet chuck. now i would have to say the most common would be bad blanks. its not because of dull tools or that i got to aggressive in turning no it would have to be because of bad blanks[:D][:D][:D]

Shane

kent4Him

Pushing the transmition too far into the slimline has happened a few too many times. One of the reasons I don't like the slimlines. I don't seem to have that problem on the european.

NancyLaird

I seem to have gotten a lot of blanks lately that have flown apart on me. Most of them were spalted, but a couple were some hydrangea blanks that I got from Bill Fourness (not to open an old wound) several months ago. They were dripping wet when I got them and they cracked as they dried. Even CA didn't help them.

Nancy

mick

Mine would have to be a bad finish, which actually isn't a permanent problem most of the time! Just time consuming.

Malainse

Operator error.... This lapis has a bit too much gold in it..[:(][;)]

ouch.JPG

palmermethod

As a newbie, on my first three pens there were a few glitches I was able to sort out. However the biggest error I couldn't correct was off-center drilling. I have 11 pens/pencils that I'm allocating for the beginners learning curve.

And of course, I am already hooked. I love penturning. Sharpening is still hard though. Thanks for the great site and kind sharing of almost "Trade Secrets".

BigRob777

Like Dario, my biggest problem is also out of round barrels. I've noticed that the slightest thumb-nut pressure makes the mandrel curl slightly. I figured out (recently) that this is probably due to a dull pen mill, which leaves chatter and causes the blank end to be uneven. That's my guess anyway. I'm going to sharpen my mill before I turn my next pen and see if that's right.

Finish is my 2nd biggest problem, though I've got a nice system with dipping in minwax sanding sealer. It does tend to stink for a few days though.

Rob

EDIT: Wow, I had no idea that so many people had the same problem I do. I also need to sharpen my tools more often. This has been really helpful, as I might just go out and buy a bealle chuck. Thanks for being honest folks.

tiedt

Being more of a newbie than anything, I would say it is more me thinking that I can just touch that up a little to make it look better or thinking that I am a pen pro and not think and then realize at the wrong time, that I should not have done that...Ooops!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom